What woud you do?

DIYreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
HI everyone,

I'm about to expand my grow out real estate with a pair of lowboy frag tanks. I had the lighting all figured out... until today.

Both tanks will be predominantly SPS. One of the tanks will hold brood stock colonies and will be lit with an 8 bulb T5 fixture (I've used it in the past and it will grow acros like weeds!). The second tank will house all of the frags and the plan was to light it with a 4 bulb T5 fixture as well as a pair of 100w nicrew reef lights (these are great lights for the money, IMO).

Both tanks will be plumbed into a common sump (60 breeder), which I intend to use for grow out as well. I really want to maximize space as I'm completely out of room and will not be able to add any additional tanks unless I convert my garage (which is not out of the question, but not necessary quite yet). I want to have a section of the sump dedicated to growing jawbreaker mushrooms. This is where my plan got derailed.

I was at my LFS today picking up the frag tanks and asked my buddy that owns the store if he had any CHEAP old lights that he wasn't using that I could use for the jawbreakers. This thread is getting a bit wordy so I'll cut to the chase. I ended up leaving with a pair of radion xr30 g2 pros w/ reeflink, diffusers, and some other stuff. I honestly haven't really looked at what all was in the box yet. However, I did check to verify that they both worked.

So now I'm wondering if maybe I should use the radions for the second tank (which will house the frags) and ditch the 4 bulb T5 fixture all together? I know the newer radions are great, but don't know much about the g2 pros. I'm not particularly concerned about growth, just color. Will the g2's color up acros well (assuming all other requirements for acros are in order)?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 88 57.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back