What would you add to a biocube?

kodak

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up buying a biocube, stock lights and all. How would you recommend upgrading it? I'm going to get their skimmer that fits the compartment, some more filter media a heater etc but as for the lighting I know it won't be enough to grow sps and stuff. At first I'd want softies which I know it can handle but eventually if I were to replace the lighting system how would you go about doing that? I'm fine with making a custom acrylic lid to replace the stock one, and add a kessil or AI prime or smth , would that work?

Thanks

Olefreebe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run an ai pime 16 over my waterbox cube 20 and have loved it. Had to dial it back as it was to strong at 100%
An auto topoff is a nice addition if you don't have 1.
Could get a dosing pump for auto water changes if you have room for the containers.
Tons of cool gadgets to spend money on lol

OP
OP
kodak

kodak

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run an ai pime 16 over my waterbox cube 20 and have loved it. Had to dial it back as it was to strong at 100%
An auto topoff is a nice addition if you don't have 1.
Could get a dosing pump for auto water changes if you have room for the containers.
Tons of cool gadgets to spend money on lol
Thank you for the reply, I was considering getting an ato but Im not sure how I'd add that since there isn't a sump, is there any standard way to add it?

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just switched to a kessil tuna a160 on my biocube. I love the shimmer, and my corals seem to like the light too!

OP
OP
kodak

kodak

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just switched to a kessil tuna a160 on my biocube. I love the shimmer, and my corals seem to like the light too!
i managed to find a kessil a160WE tuna blue light used for free at a garage sale a couple years back, it still shines but im not sure if it's depleted or in good condition. ill attatch a photo/video in a moment, itd be nice if it works as it should

NeedAReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually people put the ATO in a cabinet beneath the biocube. Something like a 3 gal tank or container should fit easily in the standard cabinet that you can buy with the biocube. Others I have seen use some kind of container on the floor behind or next to it. depends on how your setup is. Personally if you have the full lid, I don't think it will evap too much but if you have open lid, it will evap much more.

OP
OP
kodak

kodak

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
does this look similar? Sorry for the stupid question, it's used and i never really tried it out in the past, i wanna make sure

Attachments

• kessil.mp4
    42.7 MB
  • kessil.mp4
    42.7 MB
OP
OP
kodak

kodak

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually people put the ATO in a cabinet beneath the biocube. Something like a 3 gal tank or container should fit easily in the standard cabinet that you can buy with the biocube. Others I have seen use some kind of container on the floor behind or next to it. depends on how your setup is. Personally if you have the full lid, I don't think it will evap too much but if you have open lid, it will evap much more.
thats a good idea, thanks. I've seen a couple other setups before but looks like that'll be the easiest. i appreciate your help

Olefreebe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the reply, I was considering getting an ato but Im not sure how I'd add that since there isn't a sump, is there any standard way to add it?
I use a bucket behind my stand. It is a place that can't be seen so I'm ok with it. A small 2 gallon bucket should get you through till weeklwater change. It is a great quality of life addition.

MariahP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tbh the stock lights have grown me a lot of stuff just fine without needing an upgrade. On my Biocube have the InTank media basket and refugium. I upgraded the return pump and added an innovative marine spin stream. I have a VorTech mp10 for flow. Other than that I haven’t changed much out.

I’ve also not needed to get an ato because the lid keeps the evaporation way way down.

OP
OP
kodak

kodak

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tbh the stock lights have grown me a lot of stuff just fine without needing an upgrade. On my Biocube have the InTank media basket and refugium. I upgraded the return pump and added an innovative marine spin stream. I have a VorTech mp10 for flow. Other than that I haven’t changed much out.

I’ve also not needed to get an ato because the lid keeps the evaporation way way down.

ill be getting this setup, im on a budget and its less than the price of a new biocube stand so i figured itll do - the only concern is that they have a custom lid to replace the original one. Since i have a spare light it would probably be fine but im not exactly sure since the aquarium top is custom and all. they have all the original filtration and the tank was barely used, its condition is good but the lid's my only concern. Do you have any thoughts?

Attachments

• 1714944205511.png
    1714944205511.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 31

Olefreebe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That custom lid looks nice!! It also looks fairly airtight so you might see what evaporation rates are like before you invest in the ato. When I first started I was convinced I needed one but I don’t.
I run an open top so I would trust her advice.

OP
OP
kodak

kodak

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That custom lid looks nice!! It also looks fairly airtight so you might see what evaporation rates are like before you invest in the ato. When I first started I was convinced I needed one but I don’t.
thank you so much for your help

Patx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ill be getting this setup, im on a budget and its less than the price of a new biocube stand so i figured itll do - the only concern is that they have a custom lid to replace the original one. Since i have a spare light it would probably be fine but im not exactly sure since the aquarium top is custom and all. they have all the original filtration and the tank was barely used, its condition is good but the lid's my only concern. Do you have any thoughts?
That's look like the "Original biocube MH light version" (2010)

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I based my filtration on the YouTube video: Coralife Biocube Basics, simple filter modifications. I use standard lights and grew all you see with stock lights but I did add a couple 21 LED USA blue strips for more blue when white lights are on full. Take a look at Steve’s LEDs they come in a Biocube hood and from what I understand can grow anything.
D75FEB04-FF68-4D64-9D5E-CB340B92DC6B.jpeg

MariahP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I based my filtration on the YouTube video: Coralife Biocube Basics, simple filter modifications. I use standard lights and grew all you see with stock lights but I did add a couple 21 LED USA blue strips for more blue when white lights are on full. Take a look at Steve’s LEDs they come in a Biocube hood and from what I understand can grow anything.
D75FEB04-FF68-4D64-9D5E-CB340B92DC6B.jpeg
This looks SO GOOD!

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This looks SO GOOD!
Thank you, can’t seem to get the crazy coralline algae growth like you have going through. Mostly on the back wall and anything plastic. I love the pink and purple color of your rocks!

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 45 20.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 159 73.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.6%
Back