Whats going on with my hammer?

loweryphil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive had him since friday. It took an hour to open up and has been fine since. I looked today and it was half open?!? Help! Pics bellow before and after
IMG-20170123-WA0007.jpeg
IMG-20170124-WA0004.jpeg

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will retract when light goes away ie night time lol and sometimes they will retract when theyre ready to poo...it doesnt look bad so I would just monitor it :)

OP
OP
loweryphil

loweryphil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow i did not no that. The light has been on all day and its been like this. So i was worried. Its my first LPS so was worried as it will be 60 quid down the drain! Ive only had it since friday but the first 3 days it has been fine!

Whipples

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a great piece! Judging by the curled tips it is a wall hammer which I think are fantastic but keep an eye on it as it is one big head versus the branching type which have several heads. As long as the flow is gentle, some nutrients are in the tank, and you acclimate it to the lights you have from the tank you got it in it should recover pretty quickly. Hammers are resilient :)

OP
OP
loweryphil

loweryphil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a great piece! Judging by the curled tips it is a wall hammer which I think are fantastic but keep an eye on it as it is one big head versus the branching type which have several heads. As long as the flow is gentle, some nutrients are in the tank, and you acclimate it to the lights you have from the tank you got it in it should recover pretty quickly. Hammers are resilient :)
Thanks it looked great friday until today just wondering why it curled all of a sudden. Its been doing fine. Nothing has changed so i dont know? Is it looking bad or not?

Whipples

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fleshy part looks like it is going down the skeleton nicely and has decent extension so it looks to be adapting. Do you know what your parameters are versus the parameters at the tank it came from? Lights from the previous tank to the current? LPS corals typically enjoy lower lighting and "dirtier" water as in higher nitrate and trace phosphate, but the amounts of those two (NO3/PO4) are dependent upon alkalinity levels. The lower the alkalinity the lower the nitrate/phosphate, and vice versa. This is the common assessment, but each tank tends to be different!

OP
OP
loweryphil

loweryphil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No i have no idea im afraid. At what stage do i start to worry about it? A lot of money to go wrong.

Whipples

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't worry just yet, it is still in the adjustment phase. It is really promising that it is extending! If it starts to look deflated during the day, or completely recedes into the skeleton during your photoperiod (lights on) then I would come back with an update and some pictures. The angle of the two original photos is slightly different, but no visible signs of concern yet. Did you do a dip prior to placing it in the tank? That is more so to prevent bringing in new critters, but can sometimes help the transition.

OP
OP
loweryphil

loweryphil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't worry just yet, it is still in the adjustment phase. It is really promising that it is extending! If it starts to look deflated during the day, or completely recedes into the skeleton during your photoperiod (lights on) then I would come back with an update and some pictures. The angle of the two original photos is slightly different, but no visible signs of concern yet. Did you do a dip prior to placing it in the tank? That is more so to prevent bringing in new critters, but can sometimes help the transition.
Cheers just worried as it was fully extended the previous 3 days so no idea why like this today. Ill see how it is tomorrow. I did not dip no but got a few cool barnacles on the rock it came on.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 18 15.9%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 50 44.2%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 39 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back