What's happening to this zoa?

Liam's tank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was a 3 head frag, one is gone, of the remaining two the one on the left looks like it's being enveloped by something and is slowly disappearing. That is what happened to the one that's completely IMG_2248.JPG IMG_2247.JPG gone and the one on the right is starting to shrink away too.

OP
OP
Liam's tank

Liam's tank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was a 3 head frag, one is gone, of the remaining two the one on the left looks like it's being enveloped by something and is slowly disappearing. That is what happened to the one that's completely IMG_2248.JPG IMG_2247.JPG gone and the one on the right is starting to shrink away too.
Anyone able to help with this? I'm about to lose these, they might survive another day or two.

Tavero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone able to help with this? I'm about to lose these, they might survive another day or two.
It's over they are done. You have to let go.

To prevent that from happening again, more information is required. How long are they in your tank? When did the problems start? how fast did the degrade? Water parameters?

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks almost more like they’re melting. I don’t know if there’s a definitive cause of it (not really a Zoa guy)

OP
OP
Liam's tank

Liam's tank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's over they are done. You have to let go.

To prevent that from happening again, more information is required. How long are they in your tank? When did the problems start? how fast did the degrade? Water parameters?
In my tank for 7 months, problem started about a week ago, the first polyp was gone in about 3 days and now the remaining two are on the way out.
Parameters:
Nitrate- 15ppm
Alk- 8.4
phos- 0.2
SG- 1.025
PH- 8.2
Cal- 434
Temp-78

Tavero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my tank for 7 months, problem started about a week ago, the first polyp was gone in about 3 days and now the remaining two are on the way out.
Parameters:
Nitrate- 15ppm
Alk- 8.4
phos- 0.2
SG- 1.025
PH- 8.2
Cal- 434
Temp-78

If they melt that fast, there isn't much you can do anymore. It can be an bacterial infection my, lack of trace elements, or other things. Do you have an ATO?
Is this the only zoas in your tank? Others hooking fine or having issues too?

I find it suspicious that they didn't grow any more polyps during 7 months in your tank.

OP
OP
Liam's tank

Liam's tank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they melt that fast, there isn't much you can do anymore. It can be an bacterial infection my, lack of trace elements, or other things. Dou you have an ATO?
Is this the only zoas in your tank? Others hooking fine or having issues too?

I find it suspicious that they didn't create any more polyps after 7 months in your tank.
It started as a two polyp frag and only grew the one extra, I have 4 other zoa colonies that are all thriving. I do have an ATO, it was installed about a month ago. I dose AFR 3ml every other day in a 25g tank. I feed AB+ 4ml every other day.

Tavero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It started as a two polyp frag and only grew the one extra, I have 4 other zoa colonies that are all thriving. I do have an ATO, it was installed about a month ago. I dose AFR 3ml every other day in a 25g tank. I feed AB+ 4ml every other day.

The only thing I can think of to prevent future zoa colonies from melting is to check fluoride, iodine and other parameters with an ICP oes. But as I wrote, there could be several issues combined or something else entirely.
Also colonies that are already in the progress of melting, rarely recover.

OP
OP
Liam's tank

Liam's tank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing I can think of to prevent future zoa colonies from melting is to check fluoride, iodine and other parameters with an ICP oes. But as I wrote, there could be several issues combined or something else entirely.
Also colonies that are already in the progress of melting, rarely recover.
Thank you for taking the time to respond.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 114 58.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back