What's irritating my Zoas?

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope, it wasn't algae.
I have no idea what it was but I had the exact same thing. It sucks but all you can do it put them in higher flow and keep picking it off until you get the parameters in check.

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your best bet is going to be high flow and lots of watching.get yourself some pointy end forceps

Hyde2406

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used peroxide in the dt there's a thread here on it for dose about, also shortened the light time

OP
OP
Doob

Doob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Replaced a broken spin stream with the nozzle that came with the tank last night, it's never been wet before. This is after 24 hours.

c13cbec738da864501d482819332728f.jpg

wattson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no3 dose,,get nitrates around 10,,iodide dosing helps,,but MAKE SURE to test if your going to dose it,,only half dose NSW levels,,leave room for error on the light side,,increase flow,,more flow is needed than you think

OP
OP
Doob

Doob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no3 dose,,get nitrates around 10,,iodide dosing helps,,but MAKE SURE to test if your going to dose it,,only half dose NSW levels,,leave room for error on the light side,,increase flow,,more flow is needed than you think

I have a salfiert nitrate test coming in the mail since I've been relying on an API, but I'm expecting it to be at least 10 where I am now.

Also have a new return pump coming tomorrow that will increase turnover through filtration, and I'll kick up the MP 10 a bit.

Sir Pat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If its cyano, ever hear of a maracyn (erithromycin) dip? Or tank treatment?

If its dinos, try a silicate remover- like PhosGuard.

I usually do both during this type of issue- if you cant figure out which type of specific issue it is.

I would research both, before you decide if this might be a good route for you.

I have, in the past, treated my whole tank with maracyn (erithromycin), with success, but only when all else fails and the health of my corals are in jeopardy.

Your issue is likely a phase, and will end- but if your corals are dwindling because of the issue, both these methods I recommend researching.

OP
OP
Doob

Doob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If its cyano, ever hear of a maracyn (erithromycin) dip? Or tank treatment?

If its dinos, try a silicate remover- like PhosGuard.

Which can grow in the form of a long brown string (2-3") anchored to rock on one end, other end flapping in the breeze with an air bubble at the tip?
Edit: which can do the above over the corse of a day?

I'll look into these, I did have some phosguard when the tank was new but gave it to a friend and got some gfo to replace it.

wish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
When did you get the Zoas? Did you get them with the rock?
If everything else in your tank is fine then I think the zoa rock is cycling
again. You should take the zoas out in a bowl and remove the brown slime.
You should do this twice a day for a week to two weeks. The brown slime could effect
Other corals in your tank.

OP
OP
Doob

Doob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When did you get the Zoas? Did you get them with the rock?
If everything else in your tank is fine then I think the zoa rock is cycling
again. You should take the zoas out in a bowl and remove the brown slime.
You should do this twice a day for a week to two weeks. The brown slime could effect
Other corals in your tank.

It was my 1st frag. The tank is a year old this month, so ~10 months ago. They came on a frag plug, they're in a year old rock.

They've done great until recently. Wouldn't taking them out of the water everyday cause a lot of stress?

OP
OP
Doob

Doob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yea....im not a fan of api lol getcha a salifert one :) youll be right as rain in no time.

Got my salifert tests today. Nitrate and phosphate. Nitrates are 25 ppm and phosphates are, very surprisingly, 0 ppm

da2d580474a85e650ced9ed18e8222fe.jpg

Other params are:

Calcium - 400
ALK - 7.45 dKH
MAG - 1500

All of those are Red Sea titration tests. I don't feel confident about the mag, it doesn't seem consistent, and that number doesn't sound believable.

SG - 1.0245, refractometer

As for the zoas, a few polyps have been open the last couple of days. I think blasting them every chance I get is making a difference. Definitely not out of the woods yet.

I think the new return pump and increased flow from the vortec is helping a lot too. I haven't seen and of those strings in the last couple days either.

I'll keep this up. Maybe do a water change this weekend.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 19 20.9%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 68 74.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back