What's the best salt mix out there? | BRStv

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are we really going to answer this today?

Actually, rather than determine which salt is best (which is pretty much impossible to do with so many variables that reefers value differently) we intend to put more information about salt mix choices out into the universe that just wasn't there before.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have tried many:
Aquaforest, red sea pro, reef crystals, Kent, coralife, instant ocean and Fritz pro. By far - I like results of red sea Pro. My favorite all time is SeaChem SALINITY saltw. Hard to find over the last 2 years

Last edited:

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve used Tropic Marin Pro for years, strayed to Ref Sea blue, used 1/2 the bucket and back to TM Pro. Red Sea didn’t seem as clean mixing, the coral looked better while using TM and tank was happier.

Zindebaad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's Aquaforest for me. I use this salt in all 3 of my reef aquariums. I have tried other brands and I am amazed with the improvement in my corals since trying this product. It is an awesome product.

Zindebaad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Aquaforest Probiotic Reef Salt. I have tried other brands and I am amazed with the improvement in my corals since using this product. It is an awesome reef salt.

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brightwell, NeoMarine since day one.

Mixes quickly with no residue, and very consistent bucket to bucket.

Nicole Sarnowski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used Instant Ocean Reef but now use Fritz Pro and I have to say that fritz is much easier and my tank looks great

JMetaxas

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using Reef Crystals for quite sometime with success. I bought the 200gal. box the other day, 4 50gal bags, and for the first time my batch mixed up cloudy. I normally buy one bag at a time (Amazon). Strange.

Reeferguy365

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great video! Cant wait for part 2. Maybe one of these days you guys can do a test on aquavitro salinity I've always wondered how it Stacks up to the regular salts. I like how the numbers are batch specific and you get 220 gallons out of the bucket but not really sure how much better it is than reef crystals. From what I'm told it's supposed to be better but I'd be curious to see how it tests up.

Bouncingsoul39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tropic Marin Bio-Actif is the best, hands down. Whatever natural enzymes and pro-biotics they include in the proprietary formula provide outstanding results above and beyond any other salt that just dissolves nicely without leaving a residue or gives a little boost with elevated parameters.

Paul R Barnhart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been using Red Sea blue for quite a while now....thinking of switching to HW Reefer as those parameters are closer to what I keep in the tank and I am tired of constantly changing mixed water parameters.

Richard Hercher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are we really going to answer this today?

Has there been a test comparing different salinity tests (Refractometer, hydrometer, conductivity, any others?) at different temps? With the salt series wrapping up with last weeks mixing vs this week’s mixing at temp, I’m curious if measurements vary.

JDowns

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10:51. That gentleman needs a little more coffee. ;Hilarious

balkin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently using Tropic Marin pro mostly due to it's clarity when mixed and parameters that closely match my tank with very little dosing needed to make it match perfectly!

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has there been a test comparing different salinity tests (Refractometer, hydrometer, conductivity, any others?) at different temps? With the salt series wrapping up with last weeks mixing vs this week’s mixing at temp, I’m curious if measurements vary.

Actually a great concept to consider, but I to wonder if this one is possible. We could test each instrument using a known calibration type solution, however there are variance factors for each that would make them a bit difficult to compare to each other directly. So if one reads slightly higher than another, but is still within its own precision accuracy range, it would be difficult to say that it performed better or worse than another. Also the temp correction factors or auto temp corrections are also different, which would likely make for inconclusive results. (Example, the Milwaukee Digital refractometer has built in digital temp correction, so whether you test the salinity at 66-degrees or 78-degrees, it will likely be programmed to spit out the same result).

chris.gries.50

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have used many salts throughout the years. Most recently I was using ESV, but didn’t see much change. Switched back to the old stand-by Instant Ocean. I agree with Randy that the mix is not going to be the difference in my tank. IO can be stored for a period of time, unlike some others and for 38 bucks for a 200 gallon box at my LFS, that’s hard to beat. I know that there have been some “hot” batches, but a quick alk test is easy to do.

Dianna Marshall

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fritz pro and Fritz’s pro red ( used during a year of house renovation as maintaining the tank was encumbered by construction tools, boxes, not to mention debris. I’m using second box of fritz pro red and all the corals are doing very well, sifters, ops and sos.

JHUMike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used a bunch including omega sea reef but have settled on Drs foster and smith liveaquaria reef salt. My corals respond every bit as well to the liveaquaria salt as others and it is much less expensive!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.5%
Back