Whats the best way to add a copperband to a tank with aggressive tangs?

kierstin1993

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I have 2 tangs, a purple and yellow. They have a habit of ganging up on certain newcomers (killed a powder blue tang and a coral beauty angel on seperate occasions). Right now I have a copperband in the tank with a partition up so the tangs can't get her.
To avoid aggression I thought it might be best to add multiple fish since I believe they are going to dislike the copperband.
I already have a foxface in QT waiting to go in.
I'm looking for recommendations for other fish that will help break up their aggression. I don't want them to single one out till they kill it.
My tank is 150 so I'm thinking another tang may be out of the question but the fish I add needs to be big enough and the right shape to help take aggression off the copperband (and foxface!).

jtf74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd make sure the cbb was eating like a champ before they interact. They don't often have good fat stores especially when newly acquired and can't handle as deep of a cut as another fat tang may. Adding multiple fish may help. Good luck. I found my yellow longnose great at defending itself from semi aggressive fish and shaped like a zebrasoma somewhat.

OP
OP
kierstin1993

kierstin1993

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am making sure she's fattened up first. Right now she will only eat masstick. I'm mixing it with her food and she is getting bulkier by the day.
It'll probably be a couple months before I'm ready to let her face the tangs. Just want some other fish to hopefully throw off the tangs.
I will look into a yellow longnose, thanks!

Magic031707

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can try the mirror trick or you can print out a picture of a yellow/purple tang and tape it on the tank and see how that works

TCoach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your tank is big enough, create an acclimation area with either acrylic/plexi or egg crate. Let the CBB live in that area until the other fish just ignore it. Then you can release it.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 103 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.7%
Back