What's the purpose of bulkheads on the bottom of the tank?

Joshua Jordan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am very familiar with the concept of a sump and an overflow, which is why I totally understand holes/bulkheads near the top part of the aquarium. However, I have been doing a lot of research lately and watching a lot of videos and I am interested in possibly drilling one of my own tanks in order to install a bulkhead and a sump/refugium in order to avoid having a HOB overflow box.

What I don't understand is what is the purpose of a bulkhead on the bottom of the tank? I mean, there's substrate there, right? (at least on mine and most every reefer's tanks I've seen) The only thing I can possibly think of is a pipe coming straight up through the bulkhead all the way to the surface and maybe use the pipe as a skimmer? (but the suction sound would be ungodly loud)

Please help me understand what I am missing because obviously I have totally missed something and I really want to understand?

Thanks.

Josh

Beonedge

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
closed loop circulation ...breafly -using pump instead of wavemakers

Rikki Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I have 2 @ bottom of tank one for return and 1 for supply, the noise in my return isnt as loud as you would think. my only regret is I have a see thru set up and Return box is in corner vertically I wish now I went 2"x 2" Horizontally across the backside Top (office) side. and just left pipes exposed in DT collecting corals lol

Rikki Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am very familiar with the concept of a sump and an overflow, which is why I totally understand holes/bulkheads near the top part of the aquarium. However, I have been doing a lot of research lately and watching a lot of videos and I am interested in possibly drilling one of my own tanks in order to install a bulkhead and a sump/refugium in order to avoid having a HOB overflow box.

What I don't understand is what is the purpose of a bulkhead on the bottom of the tank? I mean, there's substrate there, right? (at least on mine and most every reefer's tanks I've seen) The only thing I can possibly think of is a pipe coming straight up through the bulkhead all the way to the surface and maybe use the pipe as a skimmer? (but the suction sound would be ungodly loud)

Please help me understand what I am missing because obviously I have totally missed something and I really want to understand?

Thanks.

Josh
for me it just a cleaner design thru top of cabinet to sump underneath , But you need to beware of Siphon

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Internal overflows use bulkheads on the bottom of the tank.
47_rroverflow_1.jpg

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine has one in each corner in the overflow box at the bottom. The returns come in from the back wall. I also originally drilled for closed loop system, so I had many holes in the bottom. For both in and out.

OffgridLife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking for a tank with a bulkhead at the bottom, so I can answer this question. I want to gravity feed from a below ground tank, to a home located downhill from the tank. If your offgrid, gravity is the way to go.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 22.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 67 34.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back