What's the temperature of my tank?

mizimmer90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been measuring my tank temperature using a few different options which give significantly different readings! Notably, my inkbird 306a claims the temperature is ~2 degrees higher than the other measurements.

What brand of thermometer/controller would you trust the most?

Link to details from my build thread.

Update:

I added a couple new pieces of equipment:
1) aquatop 5W UV sterilizer that sits in the middle rear chamber
2) inkbird 306a temperature controller to use with my Eheim Jager 75 W

The UV sterilizer fits snug in the back, but there is an annoying blue line that shines through the back!! I'm thinking about getting some black tape or something to cover it.

2022-10-17 16.51.44-1.jpg

I'm having a rough start with the inkbird. Kept throwing high temperature errors for a while until I was able to get the wifi setup. Now it's working as expected, however, I'm measuring the temperature with a few different probes and they're all giving different temperatures with a range of over 2 °F! My Jager heater is set to 75 °F, but a constant digital probe says its 76.5 °F, and the inkbird says its 78.7 °F. I've tried changing the location of the probes (incase I have a temperature gradient) but they all give roughly the same reading. I also got a meat thermometer from the kitchen that reads in the middle, with 77.1 °F pretty evenly all over the tank. I'm tying to figure out which temperature to believe, but have settled with putting the temperature somewhere in the middle.

Question for anyone with an inkbird: have you experienced the temperature reading higher than the actual?

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
None of em :winking-face-with-tongue: they're all off ime. I verify w a infrared and ol fashioned alcohol one. If there's one that's spot on I'm also interested so following

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Also glass thermometer

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 33 19.2%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 131 76.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.5%
Back