What's up with my Ocean Tang

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dipped him in freshwater and the flukes just started coming out of him.

He's in a hospital tank now but I'm not expecting him to make it through the night.

I would hold off on Prazipro until he starts looking a little better. From the sound of things, any medication would kill him right now.

OP
OP
Dj City

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's no longer swimming or staying upright.
He's breathing hard and fast, falling onto his side and sometimes being upside down. Eyes are hazed over. He was a acting like he was blind in the display tank. Maybe that's why I was finally able to catch him.

He put up a good fight.

I hate to say it but he ain't gonna make it.

MSB123

Someone out there put something smart here.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should pull him out, you dont want him dying in the DT and releasing whatever he's got.

Theo15

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lost my ocean tang the same exact way, I'm thinking it was internal parasites , he wouldn't eat and was breathing extremely heavy , every other fish was fine though it was weird [emoji53]

OP
OP
Dj City

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should pull him out, you dont want him dying in the DT and releasing whatever he's got.

He was in a hospital tank.

As I thought, he did not make it through the night.

He put up a good fight. I did the best I could but I could not save him.
Good thing is I've learned a thing or two from this.

I want to thank you all for helping me with this and teaching me some things I did not know.
It's been years since I've had to deal with a sick fish and my first time with flukes.

Lessons learned.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dj City

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lost my ocean tang the same exact way, I'm thinking it was internal parasites , he wouldn't eat and was breathing extremely heavy , every other fish was fine though it was weird [emoji53]

Mine had Flukes and probably internal parasites as well. He also had an infection. He was eating in the D.T. and swimming fast and strong. He flat out refused to be caught for transport to a hospital tank. I could not get him with a net or a trap.

He ate well in the DT and I soaked his food with meds but it was not enough. By the time I was able to catch him, it was too late.

Seth Francis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's no longer swimming or staying upright.
He's breathing hard and fast, falling onto his side and sometimes being upside down. Eyes are hazed over. He was a acting like he was blind in the display tank. Maybe that's why I was finally able to catch him.

He put up a good fight.

I hate to say it but he ain't gonna make it.

Sorry to hear he didn’t make it :(

60CubeReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it safe to say that since the one fish had flukes, ALL of the fish also have flukes? If so, what's the treatment plan for the rest of the fish in the DT?

OP
OP
Dj City

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it safe to say that since the one fish had flukes, ALL of the fish also have flukes? If so, what's the treatment plan for the rest of the fish in the DT?

I'm kinda curious about that myself.
I'm hopeful that the other fish in the DT have escaped this because I have been soaking the food with meds. My thought is to continue to dose for the full 10 days in the hopes that all the healthy (looking) fish get treated.
After treatment, Put my UV Sterilizer online for about a month on slow flow to mutate any pests in the water column so they can't reproduce (Sterilize).

Any thoughts on this course of action?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As mentioned above by @60CubeReefer, if one fish has flukes then its a pretty safe bet that any fish he shared water with also has them.

Prazipro is actually reef safe, but all your fish are now in QT correct?

OP
OP
Dj City

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish

No.
The only one that I got in QT was the Ocean Tang.

I don't have Prazipro.
I only have Metroplex, kanaplex, Furan 2 and Focus.
I still have Ruby Reef Rally too.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Dj City

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Prazipro arrives today so I start dosing the display tonight.

All fish look good except for my Nasi tang. I think he has flukes now. He lost a lot of weight and one eye is cloudy. No signs of bacterial infection but he's not eating as well as he used to.

Should I remove him to a QT tank and treat him separately while treating the display with prazipro or leave him in and let the prazipro treat him and the rest of the display?

I gave him a freshwater dip day before yesterday but could not see anything because I used a white bucket.

Please advise.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All fish look good except for my Nasi tang. I think he has flukes now. He lost a lot of weight and one eye is cloudy. No signs of bacterial infection but he's not eating as well as he used to.

Should I remove him to a QT tank and treat him separately while treating the display with prazipro or leave him in and let the prazipro treat him and the rest of the display?

If you can catch him easily, I would treat separately and do another FW dip beforehand.

But if catching him is going to be difficult, I would just leave him in the DT and treat with the rest of the fish.

OP
OP
Dj City

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can catch him easily, I would treat separately and do another FW dip beforehand.

But if catching him is going to be difficult, I would just leave him in the DT and treat with the rest of the fish.

If I can catch him again, should I treat him with the metroplex + kanaplex + furan 2 while treating the display with prazipro?

OP
OP
Dj City

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dosed the display with the naso still in there. Have not been able to catch him again yet.

I took the carbon reactor offline and removed the skimmer cup. Skimmer is still on but the foam is just going over the neck of the skimmer back into the sump.
Is this ok or do I need to unplug the skimmer altogether?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skimmer is still on but the foam is just going over the neck of the skimmer back into the sump.
Is this ok or do I need to unplug the skimmer altogether?

That is fine.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 23.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back