What's wrong with my macroalgae tank?

Elijah F

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been having a rough time with my 20g tank for a while now; all the macroalgae are growing great, and the fish are still healthy despite the ich/lympho/? they arrived with. However the corals and rfa I got a few months ago aren't doing too well, and the water has been perpetually cloudy regardless of how many water changes I do each week. It's looked like crap for over 2 months and I truly want to figure out what I'm doing wrong so I can get it looking like a proper saltwater tank again.
20230505_121342.jpg

20230505_121356.jpg

20230505_121409.jpg

20230505_121418.jpg

I dose the tank each day with chaetogro, neonitro and neophos. Parameters are normal according to the Api tests I do each week.
20230505_121117.jpg

My guess is that there's an imbalance in nutrients, especially since I can't get a proper cuc in my area. Aside from beistleworms, hermits and a couple ceriths, I can't get any macro-safe cuc inverts unfortunately. Still, the macros should be able to handle any excess nutrients so I'm still dumbfounded as to what the issue is.

I use RO water for changes and Fluval marine salt, mixed for 6-8 hours each batch. Tank temp is kept 75 degrees, and I'm using a nicrew hyperreef led light. All 3 of my corals are in appropriate spots from what I can tell, all getting just enough light and flow. I have a candy cane, gsp, and rfa which are all closed up and only open occasionally. I had a pulsing xenia of all corals die on me less than a week into my tank; maybe my tank just isn't fit for corals?

After months of dealing with this I'm out of ideas; what else could be going on that I haven't Considered?

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has the tank been setup? What fish? How much are you dosing and what is the level in the tank right after you dose? Some people have complained about the accuracy of api tests, might be an issue in your tank.

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks like you have ammonia? Shouldn't have that if tank is cylced. Coral tend to like some nutrients and nitrates at 0 could be making them unhappy (likely the macros are absorbing everything). Also, macros can release compounds? that irritate corals. Also, looks like low flow? I don't see any wavemakers/powerheads?

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you have ammonia? Shouldn't have that if tank is cylced. Coral tend to like some nutrients and nitrates at 0 could be making them unhappy (likely the macros are absorbing everything). Also, macros can release compounds? that irritate corals. Also, looks like low flow? I don't see any wavemakers/powerheads?
There could be ammonia especially with the cloudy water. I would think the macro would suck that up though. I have api and salifert test kits at home and the api always looks like there is ammonia while the salifert shows 0. My lfs uses hannah api salifert and hannah and salifert both agree 0 while api shows ammonia. So id take those test with a grain of salt.

OP
OP
Elijah F

Elijah F

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has the tank been setup? What fish? How much are you dosing and what is the level in the tank right after you dose? Some people have complained about the accuracy of api tests, might be an issue in your tank.
The tank's been up for nearly 9 months, fish and corals were only added around 2 months ago far after the tank was cycled. There are 2 skunk clowns and a bluestripe goby, all of which are eating well and healthy aside from what I believe is lymphocystis. I've been dosing about 5ml of each supplement each day. Right after I dose, nitrate rises to around 3.0-5.0 ppm, and phosphate to around 0 25.

OP
OP
Elijah F

Elijah F

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was told that a slightly green, cloudy appearance was normal for api tests and indicated 0 ammonia, and it's that same color when I tested new RO saltwater. I didn't know about the compounds macros release, I'll have to dig into that a bit. Also, I removed the powerhead briefly to mix up a new batch of saltwater like I do each friday. There are very few dead spots in the tank though, and the corals are all positioned to get adequate flow

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank's been up for nearly 9 months, fish and corals were only added around 2 months ago far after the tank was cycled. There are 2 skunk clowns and a bluestripe goby, all of which are eating well and healthy aside from what I believe is lymphocystis. I've been dosing about 5ml of each supplement each day. Right after I dose, nitrate rises to around 3.0-5.0 ppm, and phosphate to around 0 25.
how long does it take to become 0 again?
Ive had macros with softies in the past in the same tank no issues. I didnt put hard corals in because of the evasive nature of many macros. the color I get from my api is pea soup green kinda like the .25 range yours looks more .50 to me but pics can be deceiving.

OP
OP
Elijah F

Elijah F

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how long does it take to become 0 again?
Ive had macros with softies in the past in the same tank no issues. I didnt put hard corals in because of the evasive nature of many macros. the color I get from my api is pea soup green kinda like the .25 range yours looks more .50 to me but pics can be deceiving.
It usually takes around 24-36 hours for each to go back to 0 due to how much macroalgae is in the tank. The lighting for the tests was kinda off a bit, here's a more accurate picture.
20230505_141127.jpg

Graemesreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, was informed that this could negatively affect the macros
Im by far not a macro expert but just thought it would help clear up the water? I mean people with fuge's skim and run carbon. Not sure just a thought.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It usually takes around 24-36 hours for each to go back to 0 due to how much macroalgae is in the tank. The lighting for the tests was kinda off a bit, here's a more accurate picture.
20230505_141127.jpg
Yeah ok that's closer to what I typically see on mine.
You may want to dose more often to keep the nutrients more consistent. That up and down is probably what is causing issues.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 182 72.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.8%
Back