What's wrong with my new fish!?

underwaterdan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My spot breast angelfish is in quarantine without any meds for about three weeks. Today I noticed his eye like this. What's wrong with him/her?

20160629_133152.jpg

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pop eye, causes include physical injury/trauma, poor water quality or secondary bacterial infection.

If water quality is the issue simply correct the parameters. Typically with physical injury the issue resolves without intervention.

To cover your bases since the fish is in QT I would treat for a bacterial infection.

I'll let @Humblefish and or Mel to address the correct medicinal recommendation.

ReeferMaddness843

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my very unprofessional opinion, it appears to be "Popeye". Basically a bacterial infection caused by some form of injury to the eye or other part of the fish. Another possible cause is ammonia burn that actually burns the outer coating of the eye off and allowing a bacterial infection. Just my .02 based off what I see.

OP
OP
underwaterdan

underwaterdan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I just looked at thr tank and noticed it was a little low of water. I tested and it was 1.03! Just topped it off and it's back to 1.023. I'm not used to such a small tank that little changes mean a lot. Could that be what bothered him?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would start by dosing Epsom salt (1 tablespoon per 5 gallons) to help relieve the swelling. Treating with an antibiotic (exs. Erythromycin, Kanaplex, Furan-2) might be next if Epsom salt doesn't do the trick.

It's also possible the high SG triggered a gas bubble to form over the eye: http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2014/8/fish

OP
OP
underwaterdan

underwaterdan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok going to dose the Epsom salt. Is that a daily dose or a one time thing?

Thanks for the quick help guys.

Agamerce

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope your little guy pulls through! Doesn't seem like anyone is speaking of urgency. It would be great if he pulls through with minimal/no scaring.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was already said because I'm late to the party here.... but I agree that it's popeye from a probable injury. Epsom salt for the swelling and plenty of vitamins in the food.
Epsom Salt: Treats eye and other injuries. Popeye in one eye usually means injury, but popeye in both eyes usually denotes a bacterial infection requiring antibiotic treatment. Cloudy eye can be a bacterial infection or flukes.

How To Treat - 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons of aquarium water. Repeat only once, if necessary. Use only “USP” grade Epsom salt.

Pros - Reef safe, as Epsom salt is just magnesium sulfate.

Cons/Side Effects - The effects of excessive sulfate in a reef aquarium are not fully known.

If it doesn't go away soon or spreads to the other eye, then kanaplex or furan 2 would be my drugs of choice here. good luck!

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say it's pretty urgent that you treat, a lost eye is an infected eye further which often leads to death. Often the stress of becoming a cyclops leads fish to stop eating as well

OP
OP
underwaterdan

underwaterdan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was already said because I'm late to the party here.... but I agree that it's popeye from a probable injury. Epsom salt for the swelling and plenty of vitamins in the food.
Epsom Salt: Treats eye and other injuries. Popeye in one eye usually means injury, but popeye in both eyes usually denotes a bacterial infection requiring antibiotic treatment. Cloudy eye can be a bacterial infection or flukes.

How To Treat - 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons of aquarium water. Repeat only once, if necessary. Use only “USP” grade Epsom salt.

Cons/Side Effects - The effects of excessive sulfate in a reef aquarium are not fully known.

If it doesn't go away soon or spreads to the other eye, then kanaplex or furan 2 would be my drugs of choice here. good luck!
Thanks again for the help! I haven't noticed any change in his eye yet. I assume it takes a few days to a week for it to start to receded. If not I'll do a second dose of Epsom salt next Thursday.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks again for the help! I haven't noticed any change in his eye yet. I assume it takes a few days to a week for it to start to receded. If not I'll do a second dose of Epsom salt next Thursday.

If you don't start noticing improvement within the next 2-3 days, begin antibiotic treatment. Is the fish still eating?

OP
OP
underwaterdan

underwaterdan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't start noticing improvement within the next 2-3 days, begin antibiotic treatment. Is the fish still eating?
I fed him today and it took a bit but he did peck at the food, which is normal for him since he's been in qt. I did have to take out his hiding rock because even with the garlic he wasn't coming out. Eye still as big but turning a little red today.

Last edited:

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I fed him today and it took a bit but he did peck at the food, which is normal for him since he's been in qt. I did have to take out his hiding rock because even with the garlic he wasn't coming out. Eye still as big but turning a little red today.

I think I would begin antibiotics ASAP (primarily due to the redness): Furan-2, Kanaplex, Metroplex if you have them. Or if not, let me know what antibiotics you do have/can get.

OP
OP
underwaterdan

underwaterdan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll have to go check out what the lfs has. Or look on amazon for overnight shipping. Which one is best?

majik44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

will Epson salt harm the other fish in the tank I have a 350 gallon tank ,it doesn't have to be in a quarantine tank does it

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
will Epson salt harm the other fish in the tank I have a 350 gallon tank ,it doesn't have to be in a quarantine tank does it

No it can be done directly in th display. It wont hurt the others or corals

majik44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No it can be done directly in th display. It wont hurt the others or corals
I just noticed my coral beauty had a popeye tonight it was not there today it could be a injury the other fish are fine as of now its just 1 eye
thanks for your help if no better tomorrow I will dose the Epson , I'm running my uv all night tonight I don't usually run it all the time thanks for the quick response

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back