Whats your take on Button Scolys?

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently talked to my LFS, and asked if they could get button scolymia in as I want to try to keep a scolymia, but very limited on space. They told me that buttons don't make it longer than two weeks for them for whatever reason. What is your guys/gals experience with scolymia? Do they last for you? If so which one does better if you have kept both? Pictures if you have!!!

Narideth

Fishaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I acquired a trio of button scolys that I've had in my pico tank for two months now. I wanted them for exactly the same reason - they're perfect for small spaces. I have heard they are fairly aggressive so don't put them within touching distance of anything but other button scolys. They aren't miniature or dwarf scolymia, they're just visually similar with an entirely different taxonomy.

They eat well, with the big tentacles very like to classic scolymia. I've got them on the sand bed at around 130 PAR and they're nice and fluffy. I even had one partially eaten by a miscreant sexy shrimp and it regrew -very- quickly. Like, days quickly and the flesh was covering the skeleton. I was very pleasantly surprised and relieved.

20231120_173249.jpg
- See the chomp taken out of the right bottom. It did it TWICE in two different spots before I said no more. The next pic is within the same day under blues.

20231120_175139.jpg

20231203_194617.jpg

The tank is only 3 gallons and this last pic was taken about a week ago. Other than the two spots that were damaged showing a little less vibrancy, the darker one has almost fully recovered.

I got one of each I guess 'common colors' red, green and the dark with orange striping. I love them.

jkcoral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been reefing for a long, long time and finally got my first scolymia a little over a year ago (deal too good to refuse). I now have 2. I haven’t owned a button scoly yet, but from all explanations I’ve heard, they are the same as regular scolys but smaller in size.

In my experience, they’ve been very easy to keep happy. They have a really cool feeding reaction, and I feed them often.

Here’s one of mine that I got when it was slightly larger than a frag plug (which you can see in the picture) and again now:

IMG_3605.jpeg

IMG_8813.jpeg

And eating:
IMG_1635.jpeg

OP
OP
ajremington68

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I acquired a trio of button scolys that I've had in my pico tank for two months now. I wanted them for exactly the same reason - they're perfect for small spaces. I have heard they are fairly aggressive so don't put them within touching distance of anything but other button scolys. They aren't miniature or dwarf scolymia, they're just visually similar with an entirely different taxonomy.

They eat well, with the big tentacles very like to classic scolymia. I've got them on the sand bed at around 130 PAR and they're nice and fluffy. I even had one partially eaten by a miscreant sexy shrimp and it regrew -very- quickly. Like, days quickly and the flesh was covering the skeleton. I was very pleasantly surprised and relieved.

20231120_173249.jpg
- See the chomp taken out of the right bottom. It did it TWICE in two different spots before I said no more. The next pic is within the same day under blues.

20231120_175139.jpg

20231203_194617.jpg

The tank is only 3 gallons and this last pic was taken about a week ago. Other than the two spots that were damaged showing a little less vibrancy, the darker one has almost fully recovered.

I got one of each I guess 'common colors' red, green and the dark with orange striping. I love them.
Love the reddish orange with a spot of green in it.

Reefer_kano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love scolys, I've had a few.
I kept them in the sand bed. When I first got them I had 2. One of them didn't do well right away and melted with in couple of weeks. Now the second one was thriving in my tank for quite some time (over 6 months ) but I made a rookie mistake and did not paid attention to my Mag levels and it bailed out off its skeleton and died.
Now I only have button, I've had it for about a yr now. I have it on the side of the rock structure shade it for now because I'm being careful with it since I just did a tank transfer.
I think they are easy to care for, but it would all depend of who you get it from.
Screenshot_20220630-214126_Gallery.jpg

20220917_155812.jpg

OP
OP
ajremington68

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love scolys, I've had a few.
I kept them in the sand bed. When I first got them I had 2. One of them didn't do well right away and melted with in couple of weeks. Now the second one was thriving in my tank for quite some time (over 6 months ) but I made a rookie mistake and did not paid attention to my Mag levels and it bailed out off its skeleton and died.
Now I only have button, I've had it for about a yr now. I have it on the side of the rock structure shade it for now because I'm being careful with it since I just did a tank transfer.
I think they are easy to care for, but it would all depend of who you get it from.
Do you think better to buy one off a fellow reefer or LFS, or its all about what LFS and how good they are with them?

OP
OP
ajremington68

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been reefing for a long, long time and finally got my first scolymia a little over a year ago (deal too good to refuse). I now have 2. I haven’t owned a button scoly yet, but from all explanations I’ve heard, they are the same as regular scolys but smaller in size.

In my experience, they’ve been very easy to keep happy. They have a really cool feeding reaction, and I feed them often.

Here’s one of mine that I got when it was slightly larger than a frag plug (which you can see in the picture) and again now:

IMG_3605.jpeg

IMG_8813.jpeg

And eating:
IMG_1635.jpeg
Love the colors on them, almost look like a volcano erupting! Want to get one so bad, just need a good deal.

OP
OP
ajremington68

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do any of you'll know the pricing in a month there is a coral show near me I plan to drive to. What is the average price of a scoly and button scoly? what is the average price of a red one, a green one, etc. Just so I know if I see a really good deal.

Reefer_kano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think better to buy one off a fellow reefer or LFS, or its all about what LFS and how good they are with them?
Probably from a fellow reefer just because it mostlikely has been in a aquarium for some time already so it's used to that environment ( IMHO)
Getting them from a LFS, you don't really know how long they have been in those system and if they aren't having luck with them then their supplier possibly are not getting them healthy ones....possibly.

jkcoral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the colors on them, almost look like a volcano erupting! Want to get one so bad, just need a good deal.

Agreed! I stayed away from them for a long time because I usually avoid the “hot” or “trendy” corals because I don’t care to pay the prices. I guess I got lucky and just finally had some really good deals fall in my lap. The warpaint cost me $90 and was the most expensive coral I’ve bought in a decade!

I was just looking at button scolys on aquaSD, and they had some cool looking ones in stock. And they have a 30% off code right now, too. I got my warpaint from them!

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably from a fellow reefer just because it mostlikely has been in a aquarium for some time already so it's used to that environment ( IMHO)
Getting them from a LFS, you don't really know how long they have been in those system and if they aren't having luck with them then their supplier possibly are not getting them healthy ones....possibly.
Always from a reefer if you can. So so many corals don't take to tank life well and do poorly after coming in

Reefer_kano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do any of you'll know the pricing in a month there is a coral show near me I plan to drive to. What is the average price of a scoly and button scoly? what is the average price of a red one, a green one, etc. Just so I know if I see a really good deal.
Buttons tend to be cheaper, I got mine under 100 bucks.
Regular size ones ... you will pay quite a bit
1.depending who you r getting them from
2. The more colors it has, the more money you r going to pay.

jkcoral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

From my experience, the all green and all orange scolys are cheaper. The UFOs, warpaints, bleeding apples are more expensive.

I’d say roughly:

All green ~$100-$125
All orange ~$100-$125
UFO ~$250 to $$$$
Warpaint ~$250 to $$$$$
Bleeding apple ~$250 to $$$$$

Edit: never bought a button scoly, but I’ve seen them as cheap as ~$35-$40

Narideth

Fishaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I negotiated for my trio of buttons for $160. I also have a real regular scolymia that cost me $200 and the prices are wild and depend primarily on where you get it from.

Button scolys can range anywhere from $40-$100+ from what I've seen so far. I think they're coming into popular trend so I've been seeing 'ultra' and 'rainbow' appended to them, but you can see the three I got are all wonderfully colorful and were all in the 50-60 range.

Consequently I do love my real scoly, it's gorgeous. It's small, about 3 inches across, so I'm hoping some of the greens and yellows I see in the outer rim will spread inwards as it grows.

20231214_182738.jpg

20231117_155922.jpg

jkcoral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I negotiated for my trio of buttons for $160. I also have a real regular scolymia that cost me $200 and the prices are wild and depend primarily on where you get it from.

Button scolys can range anywhere from $40-$100+ from what I've seen so far. I think they're coming into popular trend so I've been seeing 'ultra' and 'rainbow' appended to them, but you can see the three I got are all wonderfully colorful and were all in the 50-60 range.

Consequently I do love my real scoly, it's gorgeous. It's small, about 3 inches across, so I'm hoping some of the greens and yellows I see in the outer rim will spread inwards as it grows.

20231214_182738.jpg

20231117_155922.jpg

Man, that’s a pretty one.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

20231120_173249.jpg

20231120_175139.jpg

20231203_194617.jpg

The ones I’ve seen weren’t quite as colorful as their big brothers, but yours really pop.

Narideth

Fishaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ones I’ve seen weren’t quite as colorful as their big brothers, but yours really pop.

I admittedly picked out the three best pieces that were on offer at the booth I got them from - a statement the seller agreed with - but he claimed even the darker ones would grow into their colors. I just didn't want to wait/take that chance when I was first in line to claim my prize!

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I admittedly picked out the three best pieces that were on offer at the booth I got them from - a statement the seller agreed with - but he claimed even the darker ones would grow into their colors. I just didn't want to wait/take that chance when I was first in line to claim my prize!
Job well done!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Recently talked to my LFS, and asked if they could get button scolymia in as I want to try to keep a scolymia, but very limited on space. They told me that buttons don't make it longer than two weeks for them for whatever reason. What is your guys/gals experience with scolymia? Do they last for you? If so which one does better if you have kept both? Pictures if you have!!!
Easy care, more forgiving that the full ones and an array of colors. Feed them mysis shrimp

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bit of dismal longer term success rates on all Scollies IMM.

Good for a year, year and a half, haven’t seen many more than 2 years old, however some have success.

Its potentially the area of collection that we don’t mimic in most aquaria, silty waters and cooler.

Elegance and Long Tentacles Plates I throw in the same category.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 34.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 39.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 19.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back