When can you add corals?

Ghostyboythedog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
So I've had a saltwater aqaruim with water I it for about a month, and it's finally cycled and we put to clowns in the tank. And I'm just curious for the future when you can put soft corals in the tank.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the above however if you leave your lights off the first 4 months and allow your tank to develop biodiversity and microfauna before you start to add coral and turn lights on then your ugly stages will be more manageable. Fish don't need light. Experienced reefers can add coral right away with success. The rest of us don't do well adding coral early typically.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I added coral the first day I had a clean up crew. I thought it was a plant, and they didn't correct me. Lol. It was green star polyps. It lived just fine.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Your light can be either blue or white. Depends on what you like really. What kind of light do you have? And yes, cheap lights will work for beginner soft coral.

fishnchip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added mine a week after my clowns. You should be good to go if your lights and parameters and squared away :)

Peair

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About three weeks minimum if you have all parameters in range to be safe, Calcium is important for growth.

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hi,
So I've had a saltwater aqaruim with water I it for about a month, and it's finally cycled and we put to clowns in the tank. And I'm just curious for the future when you can put soft corals in the tank.
Start with a couple of beginner coral and allow the tank to mature further as you add. DSome beginners:
candy cane
mushrooms
zoa
trumpet
xenia
Duncan
Green star polyps

crabgrass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was planning on doing the 4 month black out thing (BRS 4 month cycle), but a combination of getting impatient and my old tank needing to get broken down much earlier make me accelerate the process.

I moved 10 or so frags/corals from a smaller tank 2 weeks after the display was stood up (everything had been cycled a month before). Then added another 15 a couple weeks later and another 15 at the 2 month mark.

I am not advanced by any mark, and probablh lucky — or will learn my lesson in the next couple months, but avoided any coral casualties so far (outside of a plate coral that was doa). My hammers and torches have all split heads in the last month.

Everything I added, has been pretty easy LPS, plus a few gonis and mushrooms. And nothing expensive. I had a couple Montis I transferred over from the other tank that are doing fine (again easy stuff and cheap).

My rock was precycled for a month before adding it to the display and then I added some live rock from tbs (about 15% of the total rock). I also added a crap ton of pods and some stuff from ipcs, which should help accelerate the microbiome and maybe help with stability (I really don’t know)

My Alk has been very stable the first couple months. ph less so (working on that), but was ok 7.9-8.2. And N and P ar3 full of swings as you would expect in typical new tank (highs and lows, but all within an acceptable range. Eg N 2-20 and P .03 - .2’s). Those numbers need to level out before I put anything expensive into the tank.

No major ugly phase yet outside of the normal diatom bloom. Correline started showing up on the dry rock about a month in and has been very small spots. The stuff on the live rocks is growing pretty quick

TLDR: maybe I am just lucky, but I have gotten away with it so far. Don’t add anything expensive

Last edited:

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 105 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back