When did the BUYER become responsible for shipping delays?

UMALUM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a little puzzled on when it became the buyers responsibility to make sure that a ups package gets to their house on time. BUYER'S AND SELLERS can we have an honest discussion/debate on the topic? I won't bore you with all the details as I plan to post the sellers original thread and our discussion at the end of this thread. I thought standard doa meant the coral had to get to your house alive? All I got was " not my responsibility ". So my question is who's is it? Luckily I know all the ways to skin a cat but would hate to see some kid get jacked that doesn't have my resources. This rainbow splice is gonna make a wonderful addition to the system. IMG_20240417_153605.jpg

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
as a buyer i expect the shipping company to handle the DOA. as a seller i would expect the shipping company to do its job at properly shipping live stock, but you're also the one sending out the live stock so you should do what you can do to make sure it arrives alive.

most sellers nowadays don't want the DOA responsibility because they come out negative in profits.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Either the seller has a DOA guarantee or they don't. Not much gray area unless the debate is if the frag is actually dead and I cannot tell from that pic.

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any seller who says "Not my responsibility." in response to a DOA arrival is a seller I would never do business with again. I mean, sure, they're right; it's not the seller's responsibility once the package gets into the hands of the shipper to ensure that your package arrives on time; it is the shipper's responsibility. However, the shipment contract (Money in exchange for service is a contract) happens between the seller and the shipper, and most shipping companies will not discuss refunds with the receiver because the receiver did not pay them for shipping. At this point, the seller is the one who needs to contact the shipper and file a dispute to receive what they've lost, and the seller needs to work with you to replace what you've lost.

OP
OP
UMALUM

UMALUM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Either the seller has a DOA guarantee or they don't. Not much gray area unless the debate is if the frag is actually dead and I cannot tell from that pic.
This seller said they had a standard doa policy in the thread. Just to say delays in shipping that result in a doa is not their problem after the fact. Do you see a little gray now?

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, it always helps to have the full details from the start as it may change things.

Gribbles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I make my purchase, I am purchasing a live coral and expect a live coral to be delivered to me. I don't care who fixes it - seller or shipper - but it is not my responsibility. Shipping companies offer insurance.

A live coral has $$$ value.
A dead coral does not.
That's damages.

Absolutely name and shame that seller. At least PM me their info so I can avoid them. May not be much, but I try to speak with my wallet when I can.

KevinC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This seller said they had a standard doa policy in the thread. Just to say delays in shipping that result in a doa is not their problem after the fact. Do you see a little gray now?
I buy from online a lot, normally when "standard doa policy" is mentioned, it means shipping delays resulting for dead corals are not covered. Sellers do, however, are still willing to work with you 90% of the time on a replacement or credits.

Those who want to go above and beyond actually put another line and said they covered shipping delays too/

tmhickey2023

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a little puzzled on when it became the buyers responsibility to make sure that an ups package gets to their house on time. BUYER'S AND SELLERS can we have an honest discussion/debate on the topic? I won't bore you with all the details as I plan to post the sellers original thread and our discussion at the end of this thread. I thought standard doa meant the coral had to get to your house alive? All I got was " not my responsibility ". So my question is who's is it? Luckily I know all the ways to skin a cat but would hate to see some kid get jacked that doesn't have my resources. This rainbow splice is gonna make a wonderful addition to the system. IMG_20240417_153605.jpg
Seller’s responsibility in my opinion. And I too am alumnus of the []__[]. Go Canes! When were you there?

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please post the seller so we all don't run into the same problem. The seller is perfectly capable of redeeming themselves if they want to. I'm not buying from someone who's says "not my problem".

G&B Reefing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the seller isn’t working with you, dispute the charge with your credit card company.

You bought a live coral not a dead one. The seller should work with shipping to collect on insurance. If they dont take out the insurance its their risk, not yours. At the end of the day you didnt pay good money for a lifeless rock.

RockRash

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you willing to pay the insurance as part of your purchase price?
The seller should be responsible for insurance. If that raises the price of shipping the buyer can decide weather its worth it. The shipping company will only issue a claim payment to the seller. The buyer did his part and paid money for a living coral now it's up to the seller to deliver that. Sometimes in business the seller has to eat the cost of something they cant control like death due to a delay in shipping. Ether send a new coral or send a refund. The seller can dispute the insurance clame with the shipping company.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 13 37.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 14.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 12 34.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 4 11.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.9%
Back