When should I frag my frogspawn?

BigMikeFlipz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a frogspawn for about 7 months and when I bought it at my LFS the salesguy got excited, he said he wished he had noticed but the one I got had about 3-4 small growths coming out about 1/5 to 1/4 inch form the base. It now has 2 large ones just shy of a dime size and about 4-6 smaller ones coming out. When is a good time to frag those off? I'll do some research on how to do so, but not sure if I cut those off the sides and move to their own plug, or just cut the base and move the main frogspawn to a new plug. The picture is early after lights coming on so the top/main is not fully opened up and the smalls are not either. But you should be able to see several of them.
Thanks for any ideas/advice!

20230104_163819.jpg

kbnh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s the rush of fragging? Let it grow out a bit, then frag to your hearts content. Don’t cut through live tissue, only cut through the skeleton close to the base.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can frag those little ones, but they take a long time to grow into much. If they are getting light now they may get bigger on the stalk. If the little ones get up to a half inch long they might be worth snipping then.

OP
OP
BigMikeFlipz

BigMikeFlipz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s the rush of fragging? Let it grow out a bit, then frag to your hearts content. Don’t cut through live tissue, only cut through the skeleton close to the base.
Absolutely no rush at all, lol, just asking if/when. Thanks for the help!

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size should I let the head get before fragging off?
It's more about how much "stem" is available. If you cut the skeleton too close to live tissue you'll damage and possibly kill the coral.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 17 8.3%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 35 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 136 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 10 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.9%
Back