when should you start using a skimmer

cameronh

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do I make my own post on the app?
Haha wrong thread for that my friend. But there is a pencil icon at the top of the page in any of the forums. Hope this helps!

furam28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wet skimming is when you dial-up your skimmer so that it collects a lot of skimmate (cup gets full in 2 or 3 days). The skimmate will be ice tea color. Dry skimming is when you dial it down so that it takes about 1-2 weeks to fill the cup and the skimmate is a dark coffee color. Wet skimming is helpful in reducing nutrients in your tank, especially after you have some livestock death. But you have to empty your cups often, and if you have a small tank, make sure to replace the same amount (cup full) of saltwater to keep the salinity balanced.

Justiful

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About month 5. You don't want to start it too soon, as it increases the time it takes for your tank to really establish itself. Maybe a month sooner or later depending on the tank.

merlberg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wet skimming is when you dial-up your skimmer so that it collects a lot of skimmate (cup gets full in 2 or 3 days). The skimmate will be ice tea color. Dry skimming is when you dial it down so that it takes about 1-2 weeks to fill the cup and the skimmate is a dark coffee color. Wet skimming is helpful in reducing nutrients in your tank, especially after you have some livestock death. But you have to empty your cups often, and if you have a small tank, make sure to replace the same amount (cup full) of saltwater to keep the salinity balanced.

Sry if this sounds stupid [emoji85][emoji85] but wht do you mean by dial up? I have a skimmer and it has been on for a week now n i still havent needed to empty it out which is so odd even tho it is a huge skimmer n tge gunk that is on the top thts pulled out isnt even that dark. Do you think i have to adjust something?

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There should be a output water adjustment and air adjustment on the skimmer. You can adjust the water output to move the head up or down in the collection tube. This will adjust how much you skim.

jaws789832

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He means getting more flow thru the skimmer. depending on the skimmer there are several ways of doing this. If its just a cheap air stone type skimmer you can adjust the air flow with some sort of valve on the air line. Higher end skimmers have a lot of ways of doing it. Mine I can close a gate valve to restrict water flow, I can turn down the pump to reduce water flow, I can close an air valve to restrict air flow. Some skimmers you can actually adjust the cup height and that will change the amount of skimate. On a new tank you aren't going to get anything because there are no organics in the water to skim off yet. After you start getting a bio load you will have to adjust the skimmer depending on how much you want to get. Hope this helps.

lazlodawg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It means to increase the amount of air flow into the skimmer in order to increase skimmate collection. This is done in different ways depending on the skimmer. Some are not adjustable except by lowering the collection cup. Some have air flow restrictors and I imagine that some come with variable speed pumps, but I'm only familiar with smaller hang on back skimmers like the aquamaxx hob 1 and in tank skimmers.

Depending on your bioload and how much you feed, you might not get much skimmate. Also, many skimmers take a while to break in. If you want better answers though, people will need to know more about your setup. What's in the tank, how long has it been set up, how much and what type of food you feed, what brand and model skimmer, etc. Hope this helps.

merlberg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It means to increase the amount of air flow into the skimmer in order to increase skimmate collection. This is done in different ways depending on the skimmer. Some are not adjustable except by lowering the collection cup. Some have air flow restrictors and I imagine that some come with variable speed pumps, but I'm only familiar with smaller hang on back skimmers like the aquamaxx hob 1 and in tank skimmers.

Depending on your bioload and how much you feed, you might not get much skimmate. Also, many skimmers take a while to break in. If you want better answers though, people will need to know more about your setup. What's in the tank, how long has it been set up, how much and what type of food you feed, what brand and model skimmer, etc. Hope this helps.

Yes n thanks it helped alot :)

luke33

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally I start skimming as soon as I have a skimmer and new tank has water in it. Could you wait a bit, sure but I see no reason to do so.

As far as wet vs dry skimmate goes its just the consistency of skimmate. If you lower your water level internally in your skimmer generally you will get a darker skimmate with more neck buildup, or neck turds. If you raise your water level internally in your skimmer you generally get a wetter skimmate with less neck turds, and its a lighter color. Some prefer skimming wet as it pulls more out, and some dry. I prefer inbetween myself.

OP
OP
Lonny

Lonny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She looks just like my chocolate lab
He means getting more flow thru the skimmer. depending on the skimmer there are several ways of doing this. If its just a cheap air stone type skimmer you can adjust the air flow with some sort of valve on the air line. Higher end skimmers have a lot of ways of doing it. Mine I can close a gate valve to restrict water flow, I can turn down the pump to reduce water flow, I can close an air valve to restrict air flow. Some skimmers you can actually adjust the cup height and that will change the amount of skimate. On a new tank you aren't going to get anything because there are no organics in the water to skim off yet. After you start getting a bio load you will have to adjust the skimmer depending on how much you want to get. Hope this helps.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 12.5%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 20 41.7%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 19 39.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.2%
Back