When will my leopard wrasse change sex?

Perpetual Novice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two leopard wrasses 4 inch and 3 inch roughly. They both have the speckled female color pattern and look roughly the same except for size. They are active, eat well, and get along great. Usually they are within a foot of each other at any given time so they seem to prefer to swim and hunt together. The were added to the tank a few weeks apart and purchased at different stores. They have been in my tank for about 4 months now and I have heard that they will develope a hierarchy with the larger one becoming male and changing color. When can I expect this to happen. And will any complications arise when it does?

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a trio that sleep together at one spot. They are going great and fat, but not changing sex after 2 years. I think Leopard sex change is unpredicable. I think you should enjoy them as is, if one of them change sex then it is a plus. If two change sex, this happened to other people, it is a disaster.

OP
OP
Perpetual Novice

Perpetual Novice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a trio that sleep together at one spot. They are going great and fat, but not changing sex after 2 years. I think Leopard sex change is unpredicable. I think you should enjoy them as is, if one of them change sex then it is a plus. If two change sex, this happened to other people, it is a disaster.
Oh no! I didn’t realize that could happen. I’ll gladly take two females and hope nothing changes.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They may very well not transition to male. Leopards are not nearly as predictable as fairy and flasher wrasses are. In short they will do it if and when they do it. Good news is most leopard species are very beautiful as females...some more so than males to some people.

OP
OP
Perpetual Novice

Perpetual Novice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been looking into get one. But hear they are hard to keep? Any reasons why?

They’re supposed to be hard to feed. They survive for a while by picking things off the rockwork. But when they deplete that food source they starve unless you train them to eat prepared foods.

I’ve heard some kinds of leopard wrasse are easier to train than other but I don’t know much about that. I just found ones at stores near me that had already be trained to eat frozen food.

I feed them primarily spiralina brine. And they love it and are fat. They’re supposed to need frequent feedings because they have a high metabolism. But I feed once a day and it doesn’t seem to be a problem.

jordan10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
K that's the same thing this girl told me at this fish store by this hotel we are build said. She say she won't sell it unless see has it eating and then keeps for another 4 5 day to make sure it's eating so I told her to call me when they get one. Thanks I was just checking to make sure

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I have 3 female leopard wrasses and a female potters wrasse.
They all get along fairly well.
I do have a male melanurus that kind of rules the tank.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My three Meleagris Leopard wrasse
Leopard2016090501.jpg

My Black Leopard Change sex
Female
BlackLeopardWrasse2019041801.jpg

Changing
BlackLeopardWrasse2019072807MaleNonExcited.jpg

Male nuptial coloration
BlackLeopardWrasse2019070910Male.jpg

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 49 34.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 37 25.9%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 29 20.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 27 18.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.7%
Back