Where are the IAPLC Awards for marine aquariums?

strich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't been back in the marine hobby for long, but I must say one thing that has utterly struck me is the lack of aquascape maturity and diversity in marine compared to the freshwater hobby. Most of the tanks I see are far closer to being eclectic color orgasms made by collectors than living eco-systems, if you can understand what I mean?

Don't get me wrong, there ARE plenty of fantastically scaped marine tanks out there! But few if any come anywhere even close to the top 100 IAPLC freshwater entries each year.

Why do you think that is? And is the hobby just too small for a globally recognised scaping society like IAPLC?

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This question pops up every once in a while - the last time it came up, the consensus seemed to be that scaping for coral growth is a lot harder than scaping for plant growth. That said, here are some related links:

OP
OP
strich

strich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This question pops up every once in a while - the last time it came up, the consensus seemed to be that scaping for coral growth is a lot harder than scaping for plant growth. That said, here are some related links:
You're a champ, thanks. I'll have a browse through. Though I will say this: I feel like a "mistake" a lot of tanks make is thinking that corals are the only plant life to consider. There is so much amazing macro algae out there, some even glow!

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like a "mistake" a lot of tanks make is thinking that corals are the only plant life to consider. There is so much amazing macro algae out there, some even glow!
Definitely true - there are some really cool and pretty algae species, but they're not typically kept.

OP
OP
strich

strich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just imagine, something like @Tigahboy tanks in larger 200L tanks with more coral life:
1712462017371.png

1712462205449.png

Reading through a lot of the threads listed above, a key thing I think is missing in the vast majority of the discussion really is macro algae. It aught to be the glue between key coral pieces and really help it all stand out and become a real ecosystem, rather than some alien planet color vomit (no offense I hope!).

LobsterOfJustice

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The diversity and uniqueness of individual corals has moved the focus away from the tank as a whole. Most tanks these days are just glorified frag tanks with little or no effort to turn the entire tank into a work of art, it’s just a vessel to hold and keep alive the individual corals.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 63 34.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 26.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 58 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back