Where do you guys buy live blackworms?

Ling_Thing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im looking for a well referred source to order some live black worms. Just got a copperband and I’m trying to get him to eat and convert to frozen but I need some
Black worms to get him going I think.

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Her in California they are easy to come by. The supplier out here, and I do believe they ship, is called California Blackworms. A quick Google search should find them.
If that is a hassle, try talking to your LFS. California Blackworms also does wholesale accounts.

OP
OP
Ling_Thing

Ling_Thing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Her in California they are easy to come by. The supplier out here, and I do believe they ship, is called California Blackworms. A quick Google search should find them.
If that is a hassle, try talking to your LFS. California Blackworms also does wholesale accounts.
Dang it, I already went to their website and it says they are not shipping anymore as of now and of course my lfs is about 2 hours away sadly

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang it, I already went to their website and it says they are not shipping anymore as of now and of course my lfs is about 2 hours away sadly
I usually get them from the lfs, but they haven't been able to get them for sometime. They were told by the supplier that the drought has impacted cultivating the worms and it will be sometime before they will be able to start shipping again. I placed an order last month and was sent an e-mail stating the same and that I would have to wait until the end of October to get my order if I wanted to wait. I agreed to wait but received an e-mail the following week that my order was shipped. I believe since my order was a small one they were able to fulfill it. Try placing a small order anyway and see what happens.

JakeW

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im looking for a well referred source to order some live black worms. Just got a copperband and I’m trying to get him to eat and convert to frozen but I need some
Black worms to get him going I think.
Never tried them-- following

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
https://shop.easternaquatics.com/Live-Black-Worms-1.htm

Bought a pound a month ago when our 8 month old (to us) was getting thinner.

Happy customer.
Call or email before trying to order. Shopping cart software was just ok.

I tried California Black worms first but got the 100+ days of heat discussion. At the time they were predicting early November.

Eastern aquatics was great with the majority of the order looking fantastic.

Still using the last of them.
Lol, don't forget to rinse with new water every day.
We use chilled fresh water aquarium water.
Others suggest RO water.

RMS18

I keep water chemistry as my hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I buy them from my LFS who gets the from Cali. All my fish go crazy for them.

puffy127

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There has been a serious shortage of blackworms as of late due to the hot summer in CA. California Blackworm Co. claims that there are only 2 farms in the US and they are both in CA. They have stopped shipping until mid-Nov and have also stopped supplying to their online resellers, retailers, and wholesalers throught the country. They said that there are no blackworms in the US right now. Yet a few of my LFSes got some a few weeks ago. Is there another farm supplying them? Does Eastern Aquatics (PA area code) have their own farm or are they a reseller of California Blackworm Co.?

RMS18

I keep water chemistry as my hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There has been a serious shortage of blackworms as of late due to the hot summer in CA. California Blackworm Co. claims that there are only 2 farms in the US and they are both in CA. They have stopped shipping until mid-Nov and have also stopped supplying to their online resellers, retailers, and wholesalers throught the country. They said that there are no blackworms in the US right now. Yet a few of my LFSes got some a few weeks ago. Is there another farm supplying them? Does Eastern Aquatics (PA area code) have their own farm or are they a reseller of California Blackworm Co.?

My LFS did mention that same information to me last week, i was hoping it was a rumor. :(

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not ask but I never got the impression that EasternAquatics was a reseller.

Talking on the phone it sounded like it was a smaller operation than California. But I will definitely plan on using them again!

Very happy customer.

Would highly recommend them.
[emoji4]

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get them from my LFS. Just got some a few weeks ago. I refrigerate them, but they don’t last long. They turn rotten.
You need to enjoy the lovely job of replacing the water with Chilled clean water every single day.
Yes, it is as much fun as it sounds.
I use water I steal from our freshwater aquarium. Some people use RODI.
Keeps them going for at least 4 weeks.

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, rinse them and replace the water every day and they’ll live for a couple of months. I buy enough to last for two months. I keep a quart milk jug filled with RODI water in the fridge and rinse them right before feeding the fish. The worm keeper I bought the first time I ordered helps make it easy to rinse and store in the fridge.
There’s been times that I’ve skipped rinsing but I wouldn’t go more than a day or two or the water gets fouled quickly and they start dying.

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the feeling on freeze dried blackworms?
Prior to entering the reefing hobby I was keeping discus. Growing out juvie discus requires very heavy feeding of high protein foods. I, like many others, fed freeze dried black worms as a staple. They were purchased through aquaticsuppliers who also is the owner of the simply discus forum. Are these worms compatible with marine fish?

These were a great food at a great price. I loved being able just to press a few cubes to the glass and allow the fish to pick at them.

https://www.aquaticsuppliers.com/Freeze-Dried-Australian-Blackworms-The-Original_c6.htm

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they eat the freeze dried that’s good, live or frozen they’re a good food. The thing with live black worms is the wiggle will induce a feeding response from finicky eaters. I started off my CBB on them and eventually he moved on to other foods. While in the qt that’s all he ate at first. My Spotted Dragonet has started eating them as long as they are alive and moving once dead he moves on.

puffy127

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not ask but I never got the impression that EasternAquatics was a reseller.

Talking on the phone it sounded like it was a smaller operation than California. But I will definitely plan on using them again!

Very happy customer.

Would highly recommend them.
[emoji4]

I asked them about their farm (among other questions) and they avoided answering about the farm but answered my other questions. I thought maybe this was just an oversight and asked again. No response. Gave them the benefit of the doubt - maybe they were busy and asked again, no response.

No response = no sale from me.

I don't care if they are a reseller or not, but if you are going to brag about your farm and show photos of it on your website but not answer questions about it, then you won't earn my business.

I guess I'll just have to rely on my LFSes until CA Blackworm Co starts shipping again.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 29 27.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 30.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back