Where to buy Large Rimless Tanks

Laird

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm wanting a 150+ gallon rimless. Can I get some opinions on dealers and builders from everyone who has one please. Also what people have spent on them and from where.

Also any negatives to big rimless tanks.

Thanks

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I really like Reef Savvy. Tell them Rev from R2R sent you!

OP
OP
Laird

Laird

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Rev, I was actually told to look into them from a guy locally too so I for sure will ask for some quotes from them.

boxer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 120 rimless i bought from exotic aquariums in miami. its 48x36x16t paid 800 shipped, but i only live 2 hours away. I like reef savvy designs too they were just a little out of my price range:sad:

EpicWin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a quote from cad lighting. Their tanks are awesome and 1/2 the price of glass cages. they are kinda tough to get ahold of but be persistent I have 2 of their rimless. Couldn't be happier

Sampo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone that will cover your tank with a guarantee should be first priority. Especially a rimless.

As a builder i'll tell ya i love rimless tanks, BUT dont like to build them.

The force the water puts on the seams is ridiculous, the larger you go the worse it gets. All the pressure is on the vertical seams since it "Rimless" even with a double brace on the bottom there is nothing at the top to help with the stress.

Im not bashing rimless, i personally have one in my home. But i thought you should be aware

SunnyX

ReefSite.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been purchasing my aquariums from Quality Custom Aquarium Manufacturer - Toronto Canada for years. I purchased my last two rimless ones from there as well.

My latest is a 246gl 72x36x22 Rimless. 3/4" Starphire glass. It has been up for a year. My previous rimless was up fro about 3 years.

DSC_0239-2.jpg

DSC_0249-1.jpg

DSC_0243-2.jpg

DSC_0238-1.jpg

OP
OP
Laird

Laird

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a quote from cad lighting. Their tanks are awesome and 1/2 the price of glass cages. they are kinda tough to get ahold of but be persistent I have 2 of their rimless. Couldn't be happier

They don't make big tanks do they? As I said before I'm not going to go through the trouble of an upgrade unless its 150 gallons or more. I think I could do as much as 250 in the space but I can't decide.

OP
OP
Laird

Laird

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here is the space where my tanks are. I want to replace the two current tanks with a large rimless where the frag tank currently is. That little space where it is is 84inches by 48 inches deep.

I thought a 5 foot by 3 foot tank might be good because it would still leave a little room on each side for viewing. I'm not sure though. Whats everyones thoughts on size?

3b45e86c.jpg

e5a3adef.jpg

SunnyX

ReefSite.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 5x3 would be a good size. I had Miracles build me a 60x36x24 years ago. I placed it in wall and loved it. Since the tank will have limited access on the sides, it could make maintenance a bit tougher. But, with the proper design you should be fine.

Akira

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Laird did you ever decide on a builder? Im looking to get a 150g 48x30x24 with dual overflows and want to run the herbie method. Seems like local is a bust for me and was wondering what you did and how much it was especially if you had it shipped how much that cost. Thanks Kurt. Yes its Akira from ut reefs.

incloud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking for a 36" tank with an overflow. They don't show any as far as I have seen. Just want something a little better than an Aqueon or such

Akira

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually built my own but it not as large . Its 30L X 24D X 24T . But ant bigger and I would probably have it built by ReefSavvy . They do amazing work , only draw back is the added expense in shipping it to Utah.

glamisracers

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went through a lfs and had leemar build my 300 rimless and they delivered to the lfs so shipping wasn't to bad as Sam said the stress on big tanks are bad my tank after 3 months set up the side seem broke and had a salt river in my living room but built a rim for it but reef savvy build my next they do amazing pieces

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

incloud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am envious of the setup above. That looks absolutely amazing. My intentions are to merely upgrade to a bit bigger tank and have a nice overflow that will skim the entire back panel. Having a hang on pf-300 and a diy 3/4 pvc overflow is not only hidious but is not as effective as I'd like. I've seen some sweet ideas on youtube but am having a hard time even finding just a 65 gallon glass tank anywhere near me. Not one place around me has them and hardly anyone ships that I have found. Petco and Petsmart don't even have carry tanks larger than 55 gallons. Like said above, unless I find one on local craigslist, it will be too expensive and will have to ditch the project altogether. Bummed, really have my heart set on it. Any and all suggestions are welcome and appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help. ..

incloud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 5x3 would be a good size. I had Miracles build me a 60x36x24 years ago. I placed it in wall and loved it. Since the tank will have limited access on the sides, it could make maintenance a bit tougher. But, with the proper design you should be fine.

How much was this tank you've described? I'm looking for a rimless with those exact dimensions without going in the poor house. Thanks!

jcdeng

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although I have an Elos, I would say Reefsavvy is a very good choice.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back