Where to buy live rock?

Noah707

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm ordering from liveaquaria, because they have reasonable prices and so far everyone I've seen who's bought from them are satisfied.

OP
OP
jman9331

jman9331

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see their rock is uncured. Can you put uncured Rock in a tank that is about a week in to cycling?

Noah707

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, they list all of their LR as uncured in the quick stats. however, if you read the bottom of the description you'll see standard fiji is "pre-cured" but they recommend to cure again. The premium fiji is basically uncured standard fiji (at least that's how I interpret it). If there's nothing live in the tank go for the premium, if there is, then get the standard and do a short curing process. Or you could get the premium but you'll probably have to cure longer than the standard (if there's livestock in the tank) .

I'm personally going for the standard LR as there's less chance of unwanted pests, since I'm, like you, adding the rock straight to the DT.
Hope this helps!!

OP
OP
jman9331

jman9331

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, they list all of their LR as uncured in the quick stats. however, if you read the bottom of the description you'll see standard fiji is "pre-cured" but they recommend to cure again. The premium fiji is basically uncured standard fiji (at least that's how I interpret it). If there's nothing live in the tank go for the premium, if there is, then get the standard and do a short curing process. Or you could get the premium but you'll probably have to cure longer than the standard (if there's livestock in the tank) .

I'm personally going for the standard LR as there's less chance of unwanted pests, since I'm, like you, adding the rock straight to the DT.
Hope this helps!!
They would be sold out lol.

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently bought some real reef rock from dfs and It Is great. No pest and It looks really great not to mention save the reefs!!!!!!!

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:
OP
OP
jman9331

jman9331

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
any particular reason you chose this one vs the fully cured rock of that same type?
I have always used live rock but I have found that many nuisance algae's and pest continue to show up even though the rock is cured. My new tank I tried this and I am very impressed with it. I even think the colors are even better .

Noah707

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also like liveaquaria because they have pretty reasonable shipping and deliever to your door. Of course if money's not really a concern for you (sure as hell is for me!$$$!) by all means go for the high end stuff.

OP
OP
jman9331

jman9331

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also like liveaquaria because they have pretty reasonable shipping and deliever to your door. Of course if money's not really a concern for you (sure as hell is for me!$$$!) by all means go for the high end stuff.
money is of concern with me as well!

zach_discus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
gulfliverock.com
Picked up 100lbs. Tons of sponges, macro alge, tunicates, angel wing and boring clams, corals, and gorgons. Really a true reef in a box!! With shipping runs about $4-$5 per lb
These are right after un-packing

3dees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought 150 lbs. from gulfliverock.com. 1.5 years and only a couple of aptasia which I quickly killed. not even sure they came on the rock or added with a coral. not the most porous rock but the price was right and my tank cycled in ten days.

OP
OP
jman9331

jman9331

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always used live rock but I have found that many nuisance algae's and pest continue to show up even though the rock is cured. My new tank I tried this and I am very impressed with it. I even think the colors are even better .
got my rock today.
image.jpg

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That rock looks great. Thanks for posting.

Back