Where to drill return hole?

Kershaw

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i am going to be drilling my tank today that currently has a hole drilled in the bottom of the over flow. My tank only has one hole. So I am going to drill the back of the tank for the return. My over flow is off to right side of tank about 5 inches from right side. My tank is 48” wide. My question is should I put the hole near the over flow? Or should I put closer to the left side of tank?
Tank is not tempered, I have a garden hose and diamond hole saw. I recently drilled a 50 gal with success. Just unsure about placement.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If only one, I'd put it in the opposite side of the overflow. This way surface water gets pushed towards the overflow.

General rule about holes is that you don't want them any closer to an edge or another hole than the diameter of the hole.

OP
OP
Kershaw

Kershaw

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If only one, I'd put it in the opposite side of the overflow. This way surface water gets pushed towards the overflow.

General rule about holes is that you don't want them any closer to an edge or another hole than the diameter of the hole.
Thanks I was thinking it made more sense to have it on the other side. Drilling successfull hopefully have tank up and going in a few weeks

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 20.9%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 166 72.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.2%
Back