Where to place dosing line in sump?

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just recently got into automating and am trying to get my dosing schedule set up. I’m wondering where everyone places their dosing lines? I have mine where my return pump is but there is not enough flow there, when it doese a lot of the alk supplement just sits on top of the return pump. The only other way I’ve dosed was by hand right into the display. It’s a waterbox frag tank so I have a section for filter socks, a middle section and the return pump section. Any help is appreciated,
Thanks!

Gedxin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I add mine to my return pump section. My waterbox has good flow there. On my bigger tank though I've added a dedicated small 500gph power head in the return pump area. This fixes any stale surface tension.

OP
OP
Lps_lover12

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I add mine to my return pump section. My waterbox has good flow there. On my bigger tank though I've added a dedicated small 500gph power head in the return pump area. This fixes any stale surface tension.
I have a spare power head on hand so maybe I’ll do that. It’s just a cheap one off Amazon and I’m sure it will help as well cause I have quite a bit of detritus sitting in there that I can’t seem to get out.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose mine into the baffle between my middle section(fuge), and return pump sections. 100% of the water in my sump goes over that baffle. It's the most turbulent area in my sump.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just recently got into automating and am trying to get my dosing schedule set up. I’m wondering where everyone places their dosing lines? I have mine where my return pump is but there is not enough flow there, when it doese a lot of the alk supplement just sits on top of the return pump. The only other way I’ve dosed was by hand right into the display. It’s a waterbox frag tank so I have a section for filter socks, a middle section and the return pump section. Any help is appreciated,
Thanks!
For alk, anywhere you have a good amount of flow.
Calcium, anywhere. Just not at the same time as alk.

OP
OP
Lps_lover12

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose mine into the baffle between my middle section(fuge), and return pump sections. 100% of the water in my sump goes over that baffle. It's the most turbulent area in my sump.
I never thought of that area but that’s a good idea considering it gets quite a bit of flow

OP
OP
Lps_lover12

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For alk, anywhere you have a good amount of flow.
Calcium, anywhere. Just not at the same time as alk.
So for calcium it doesn’t have to be in a high flow area? And how long should I seperate them?

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So for calcium it doesn’t have to be in a high flow area? And how long should I seperate them?
Alk needs to dissipate. I used to do 30 minutes apart when I dosed.
Calcium doesn't matter. The alk turns milky when it hits the water. This is precipitation, something you don't want to happen.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sometimes dose at the same time(just the way the DOS splits up my dosing). Seeing as my ALK line is at the back of the sump, and CAL at the front, and I dose in my to my baffle before the return pump, I have never had an issue dosing at the same time.

With that said, it is always recommended to separate the dosing by at least 20 minutes apart.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sometimes dose at the same time(just the way the DOS splits up my dosing). Seeing as my ALK line is at the back of the sump, and CAL at the front, and I dose in my to my baffle before the return pump, I have never had an issue dosing at the same time.

With that said, it is always recommended to separate the dosing by at least 20 minutes apart.
I agree, just never in the same compartment at the same time... For clarification. ;)

OP
OP
Lps_lover12

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alk needs to dissipate. I used to do 30 minutes apart when I dosed.
Calcium doesn't matter. The alk turns milky when it hits the water. This is precipitation, something you don't want to happen.
Thank you, I always knew you had to wait but never knew how long

OP
OP
Lps_lover12

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I’ll play it safe and do them seperately. My tank doesn’t really consume and cal and I only have to dose 5ml of alk a day. Thanks!

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back