Which algae eater is better

timmyrules

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I am having massive hair algae problems in 2 of my tanks…so I am debating on weather I should get a lettuce nudibranch, or a sea hair. Which one lives longer? And which one eats more algae?…I read that most of the time both the nudibranch and sea hair eat all the algae then end up starving to death. So I’m planning on getting one, either sea hair or nudibranch, and trading it between the two tanks.

scotty333

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m battling gha myself , I’ve slowly built up my astrea snails, red claw hermits , emerald crab , strawberry conch crew and I toothbrush the rocks every couple days
I’m on low nutrients now so it’s not growing anymore but just need to clear what’s there from when I had high nutrients
Consider an algae blenny as heel eat what you put in also , I think there ugly so won’t get one
I did however get a fox face but he prefers mysis, brine , nori and krill I feed the tank with

Oceanman5

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dolabella sea hare would be your best bet. I know it say expert only but that's because people run out of algae and don't supplement or rehome it

OP
OP
T

timmyrules

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m battling gha myself , I’ve slowly built up my astrea snails, red claw hermits , emerald crab , strawberry conch crew and I toothbrush the rocks every couple days
I’m on low nutrients now so it’s not growing anymore but just need to clear what’s there from when I had high nutrients
Consider an algae blenny as heel eat what you put in also , I think there ugly so won’t get one
I did however get a fox face but he prefers mysis, brine , nori and krill I feed the tank with
Do those blennys eat copepods? I am trying to grow the copepod population in one of my tanks, because I hope to soon get a mandarin dragonet. But I wouldn’t want a blenny and a mandarin competing for the same food.

OP
OP
T

timmyrules

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dolabella sea hare would be your best bet. I know it say expert only but that's because people run out of algae and don't supplement or rehome it
Oh ok, that makes sense, If I did get one I would switch it between 2 of my tanks.

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should really see what is causing the massive hair algae spike..

Like phoshates... or high nitrates... or is your tank mid maturing ugly stage?

OP
OP
T

timmyrules

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s probably excessive nutrients. I have smaller tanks with quite a bit of coral, so I feed the tanks more because I don’t want the coral to starve. I change the water weekly and sometimes bi-weekly.

scotty333

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do those blennys eat copepods? I am trying to grow the copepod population in one of my tanks, because I hope to soon get a mandarin dragonet. But I wouldn’t want a blenny and a mandarin competing for the same food.
Blennys don’t eat pods

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 9 32.1%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 13 46.4%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 3.6%
Back