Which Fish are prone to carry disease/parasite?

NewbieC123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone provide me with a list regarding fish species with a propensity for harboring diseases, pathogens, or parasites?

This would be helpful for newbies like myself by offering guidance on which fish warrant heightened vigilance during tank introductions or when it makes sense to spend the extra money and purchase pre-quarantined fish.

This is what I have so far
  1. Clownfish: Marine Ich (Cryptocaryon irritans), Brooklynella, Lymphocystis
  2. Tangs: Marine Ich (Cryptocaryon irritans), Marine Velvet (Amyloodinium ocellatum), Black Ich (Turbellarians)
  3. Angelfish: Marine Ich (Cryptocaryon irritans), Lymphocystis, Velvet Disease (Amyloodinium ocellatum)
  4. Gobies: Marine Ich (Cryptocaryon irritans), Bacterial Infections, Protozoan Infections
  5. Blennies: Marine Ich (Cryptocaryon irritans), Bacterial Infections, Internal Parasites
  6. Damselfish: Marine Ich (Cryptocaryon irritans), Velvet Disease (Amyloodinium ocellatum), Marine Velvet (Amyloodinium ocellatum)
  7. Surgeonfish: Marine Ich (Cryptocaryon irritans), Lymphocystis, Marine Velvet (Amyloodinium ocellatum)
  8. Dottybacks: Marine Ich (Cryptocaryon irritans), Bacterial Infections, Marine Velvet (Amyloodinium ocellatum)
  9. Wrasses: Marine Ich (Cryptocaryon irritans), Marine Velvet (Amyloodinium ocellatum), Lymphocystis
  10. Cardinalfish: Marine Ich (Cryptocaryon irritans), Bacterial Infections, Lymphocystis

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NewbieC123 Welcome to the Fish Disease Treatment and Diagnosis Forum!

The #fishmedic team and other knowledgeable members of our community will do our best to help you resolve your questions. Please provide as much of the following as you are able:
  • Brief description of the issue you are observing and answers to the following questions:
    • How long have you had the fish with the condition?
    • Did you quarantine with medication when you first acquired the fish? (If Yes, which medication?)
  • Current water quality measurements
  • Clear photos of the issue taken using WHITE light and/or a short video of any behaviors (post in your response or on YouTube).
If you can help us by providing as much of the above info as possible, it will make diagnosing and providing recommendations for treatment MUCH easier! The Fish Medic team will get back to you as quickly as possible. In the meantime, other members of our community may also share their experience with similar situations and advice that they may have regarding your situation.

You may also feel free to provide a more detailed description of the condition if you wish to share more info than the above list.

Additionally, these links may be useful while you await a response:

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone provide me with a list regarding fish species with a propensity for harboring diseases, pathogens, or parasites?

This would be helpful for newbies like myself by offering guidance on which fish warrant heightened vigilance during tank introductions or when it makes sense to spend the extra money and purchase pre-quarantined fish.

I appreciate the help!
Easy.

All fish

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

I appreciate the help!
While many are more prone such as Tangs and rabbits, most all fish are susceptible to disease. Maintaining good water quality and diet helps reduce risk as " Disease is on us, not the fish"

OP
OP
NewbieC123

NewbieC123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  2. Tangs: Marine Ich (Cryptocaryon irritans), Marine Velvet (Amyloodinium ocellatum), Black Ich (Turbellarians)
  3. Angelfish: Marine Ich (Cryptocaryon irritans), Lymphocystis, Velvet Disease (Amyloodinium ocellatum)
  4. Gobies: Marine Ich (Cryptocaryon irritans), Bacterial Infections, Protozoan Infections
  5. Blennies: Marine Ich (Cryptocaryon irritans), Bacterial Infections, Internal Parasites
  6. Damselfish: Marine Ich (Cryptocaryon irritans), Velvet Disease (Amyloodinium ocellatum), Marine Velvet (Amyloodinium ocellatum)
  7. Surgeonfish: Marine Ich (Cryptocaryon irritans), Lymphocystis, Marine Velvet (Amyloodinium ocellatum)
  8. Dottybacks: Marine Ich (Cryptocaryon irritans), Bacterial Infections, Marine Velvet (Amyloodinium ocellatum)
  9. Wrasses: Marine Ich (Cryptocaryon irritans), Marine Velvet (Amyloodinium ocellatum), Lymphocystis
  10. Cardinalfish: Marine Ich (Cryptocaryon irritans), Bacterial Infections, Lymphocystis

Malum Argenteum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it makes most sense to spend the extra money and set up a QT tank (and do it right; one fish in a 20g QT benefits as much from a skimmer as a handful of fish in a DT do). I think QT is the epitome of 'heightened vigilance'.

I only quarantine fish ('quarantine' is a waiting period -- etymologically, 40 days -- to see if symptoms develop; shotgunning medication is something else), but my QT setup has paid for itself probably in dollars and certainly in headaches (and I'm killing fewer fish, which seems the best metric).

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Generally, people develop lists of fish that DON'T get certain diseases, or are more resistant to them. For example, eels don't get ich, or Lymphocystis, but do get velvet. Sharks don't get velvet.

The worst diseases in terms of fish loss can be dealt with through a good quarantine process. They are: Ich, velvet and flukes.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 22.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 32.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back