Which sand is best?

ellarose

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, I am currently setting up a new tank and trying to decide on which sand i should use. I was going to use caribsea special grade but is sold out. My other options are fiji pink or bimini pink what do you think is best?

TeamAquaSD

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey all, I am currently setting up a new tank and trying to decide on which sand i should use. I was going to use caribsea special grade but is sold out. My other options are fiji pink or bimini pink what do you think is best?

Really depends on what you are interested in keeping. Fiji pink is usually a really solid choice and any small particulates will get blown into the overflow and can be taken out with a filter sock / filter floss but 98% of the sand should be heavy enough as is unless you are beaming the sandbed with flow.

If you dont mind a little more maintenance to clean up the ground I have really noticed a ton of benefit to using rubble rock as a substrate to promote growth in lps or sps corals.
Mushrooms will also have a much easier time moving around and producing babies on rubble rock compared to a finer sand substrate

TeamAquaSD

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I like the fiji pink personally. It is the sand I am using in my only sand bottom tank.

YOOO

Berlin Mercedes GIF by BIGCLAN

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 139 42.9%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 114 35.2%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.4%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back