Which skimmer would you use?

Toomnymods

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a question for the gurus out there..
Kinda torn between these two skimmers Which is the better performer for my 220-250 gallon heavily stocked reef tank??
bubbleking mini 200
or the
Vertex omega 200i
Cost really isn't a issue but hate to pay more for something that won't work as well, also the Vertex alpha wont fit. Skimmer compartment is only 14 x 15.5"

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Both are good. I'd actually go with the vertex. I don't think there's enough difference to justify the price jump to the bubble king.

OP
OP
Toomnymods

Toomnymods

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies.. ive noticed the vertex actually has 200 more lph output as well so i guess more bubbles = good

tvu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquamaxx q-3

My Q-3 after 3 days
IMG_5347.JPG

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bubble King there is no other skimmer built as well. Vertex where made by Royal Exclusiv several years ago but not now.

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kinda torn between these two skimmers Which is the better performer for my 220-250 gallon heavily stocked reef tank??
bubbleking mini 200
or the
Vertex omega 200i
Cost really isn't a issue but hate to pay more for something that won't work as well, also the Vertex alpha wont fit. Skimmer compartment is only 14 x 15.5"

Between those two I'd go with the bubbleking if money was not a factor. Vertex 200 line and up just doesn't seem as well balanced as their smaller skimmers which get very good reviews. Their bigger skimmers get mediocre reviews.

Thanks for the replies.. ive noticed the vertex actually has 200 more lph output as well so i guess more bubbles = good

No, not always. Needs to be a balance between pump(air draw/water flow), body (dimensions and not shape), and neck of the skimmers.

tvu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any problems adjusting it? Foam is consistant? Are bubbles super small? I looked at that skimmer and its priced pretty nice! Will definatly have to look into it..

Pretty much set and forget. Has been very consistent. Amazing how fine the bubbles are.

I also have a Cone-S1 on my other tank going about 4 yrs now.
IMG_5348.JPG

I think I've cleaned the pump once along with the body the entire time.

skim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may want to look at the Reef Octopus Regal 200 INT if you can fit it as a Skimmer with the pump on the outside of the body would be more efficient.

tvu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may want to look at the Reef Octopus Regal 200 INT if you can fit it as a Skimmer with the pump on the outside of the body would be more efficient.

Not sure of the logic but typically the shortest path is the most efficient path so a pump connected directly would be more efficient than the same pump run externally.

Joeganja

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bubbleking mini 200
or the
Vertex omega 200i

Aquamaxx has sicce pumps and they are extremely quiet. It's a California based company which made me choose them. Vertex are eh. Price to me matters and since the price of a vertex rated up to 150 gallons is the same price of an aquamaxx rated to 250 gallons I chose the q-2 and I absolutely love it. No problem.

Kyle Sicard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both are good. I'd actually go with the vertex. I don't think there's enough difference to justify the price jump to the bubble king.

There's a pretty huge difference between the two. The skimmers are completely different in design and pump. The bubbleking mini gets my vote mainly due to the pump. It is a DC red dragon and has 50+ speed settings to fine tune the skimmer with.

Also doesn't the omega series use sicce pumps? Red dragons are the cream of the crop, definitely go with the BK if the omega uses a sicce.

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure of the logic but typically the shortest path is the most efficient path so a pump connected directly would be more efficient than the same pump run externally.

Many (depends on the skimmer) will give the air bubbles more contact time in the body of the skimmer with an external pump. Contact time is extremely important!

Aquamaxx has sicce pumps and they are extremely quiet. It's a California based company which made me choose them. Vertex are eh. Price to me matters and since the price of a vertex rated up to 150 gallons is the same price of an aquamaxx rated to 250 gallons I chose the q-2 and I absolutely love it. No problem.

Aquamaxx may be a California company but the skimmers are relabeled JNS skimmers which used to work with Warner Marine in designing the skimmers like the awesome K line from Warner marine were JNS skimmers. WM doesn't do skimmers anymore though and Aquamaxx picked up the relabeling. They do use a sicce pump but are modified which makes them more expensive to replace if needed.

That said I think Aquamaxx/JNS skimmers are a great bang for the buck. The EM line was probably one of their best which unfortunately they stopped making.

skim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are more efficient because the pump takes up quite a bit of water volume so you are not processing as much water at the same time as with a Skimmer with the pump being outside of the of the. The only reason the Skimmers are built with pump inside was and is for space saving not for better performance. The demand for smaller foot print skimmers seems to be the need of modern Reefing. Let's say you were looking at the Vertex 180 i and the 150 you would be better of getting the 150 because the 1. the body holds a high volume of water 2. you have a mixing stage or swirl area 3. the water in the body tends not to be as turbulent. 4. much easier to do any kind of maintenance on the pump, clean/snail stuck. Not saying the Space saver Skimmers do not work well but if you speak or ask any of the makers they will say, if you can fit a skimmer with the pump outside of the body then that is the way to go.

Brennen j

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a fan of my bubble magus curve d8 might not be big enough for your system but should fit in that space and is very easy to control with a D.C. Pump and gear nob

drukyulgoods

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bubbleking mini 200
or the
Vertex omega 200i

Hi there, although my tank is 1/2 the size of yours, I went through many skimmer models until I found the Skimz line. My sump has size restrictions due to the 3 different reactors I'm running. I have a sm203 but they do have much larger models. They are dc powered and highly adjustable.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 114 74.5%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 9.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back