Which tang is the right one?

Mr.tang999

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys.
I got an 130 gallon reef tank and I would like to add another tang. I already got the tomini tang and the mimic tang. Would be nice if someone who got both could tell me with which tang they get along :)
Thx

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys.
I got an 130 gallon reef tank and I would like to add another tang. I already got the tomini tang and the mimic tang. Would be nice if someone who got both could tell me with which tang they get along :)
Thx
What is the footprint of the tank?

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool footprint for aquarium but I would skip adding another one :) especially if the two you have are playing nice already.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I had to pick one to add, it would be one of the five Zebrasoma besides the two sailfins...so purple, yellow, scopas, gem, or black. One of the foxfaces would be another way to go. Those would be best options.

Or, I might leave well enough alone as @piranhaman00 suggested.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I had to pick one to add, it would be one of the five Zebrasoma besides the two sailfins...so purple, yellow, scopas, gem, or black. One of the foxfaces would be another way to go. Those would be best options.

Or, I might leave well enough alone as @piranhaman00 suggested.

Those are bad choices imo, something other thatn Zebrasoma would be the best bet.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Yellow
Sailfin
Hepatus
Gem
Convict

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are bad choices imo, something other thatn Zebrasoma would be the best bet.

You're entitled to your own opinion, of course. But would you care to elaborate why those are bad choices, and what tangs would be better and why?

OP
OP
M

Mr.tang999

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought about a convict already but i am worried that my other 2 will attack him bc he is a bit more fragile.... Was looking in a cobberband too but same fear on this one.

OP
OP
M

Mr.tang999

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool footprint for aquarium but I would skip adding another one :) especially if the two you have are playing nice already.
Thank you :)
Yeah there is some agression but just laying on the side and flashing fins but no injuries and both get to eat good.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're entitled to your own opinion, of course. But would you care to elaborate why those are bad choices, and what tangs would be better and why?

Zebrasoma like to fight each other more than others imo.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d add a Yellow, or maybe leave it a 2 Tangs and add a One Spot Fox Face. Either option is fine. BTW with your footprint the tank should be 158 gallons let’s just say 160. Where did you get the 130 from?

Maybe a Yellow Pyramid Butterfly or a Spot Breast / Watanabei / Bellus Angel?

OP
OP
M

Mr.tang999

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d add a Yellow, or maybe leave it a 2 Tangs and add a One Spot Fox Face. Either option is fine. BTW with your footprint the tank should be 158 gallons let’s just say 160. Where did you get the 130 from?

Maybe a Yellow Pyramid Butterfly or a Spot Breast / Watanabei / Bellus Angel?
I am not that good with gallons. I am from germany so I use liter in my daily life :/

Angels are too dangerous for me, I got many lps and leather corals.

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would really like that but I think my tangs maybe could kill him when i set him in....
Go with the yellow tang AND the copper banded. With multiple tangs to distract each other it probably won’t be too bad for the CBB. I have a yellow,blue,and kole and have added a few CBB over the years trying to find one that won’t eat my RFAs. The yellow got after the first one for an hour or two but after that never an issue.

OP
OP
M

Mr.tang999

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go with the yellow tang AND the copper banded. With multiple tangs to distract each other it probably won’t be too bad for the CBB. I have a yellow,blue,and kole and have added a few CBB over the years trying to find one that won’t eat my RFAs. The yellow got after the first one for an hour or two but after that never an issue.
Well I just discovered that the cbb eats worms... I got some sabellastarte that i really like so I can not get one at all.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a Zebrasoma would be perfect, either a Purple or Yellow tang. These two are common and are very beautiful. They won't get too big for your tank. They are not in the same Genus as your other tangs. There is no other fish that is as bright yellow as a Yellow tang and no other fish that have the vivid purple and yellow of a Purple tang. Both are very hardy, perfect fish in every way for your situation.
While I have a larger tank, 320 gal. I always have either Yellow, Purple, or both tangs in my all my DT (that is larger than my 65 gal tank in my office)
Good luck

Last edited:
Back