White Bubbly Poop - Marine Betta

drmantistoboggan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received a marine betta, on Tuesday of last week May 12th. I floated it for about 10 min, then dripped it for 45 min until the salinity matched. He never really did well in the tank, was hiding in the back corner the entire time. I was worried maybe my maroon clown was bother it so I separated them and put the marine betta in an acclimation box with a rock to monitor. It never ate, I've tried feeding LRS chunky blend, Flake, Pellet, Soaking food in garlic and bought some live ghost shrimp but it was never interested in any of it. It is now sitting on the bottom of the acclimation box looking very stressed and has stringy white poop. I know white poop is indicative of parasites but this seems to have bubbles in it? Does anyone know what I can do to save this fish?

1589732292239.png

OP
OP
D

drmantistoboggan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
fish is now on it's side, seems to be on its last legs. At this point I'm starting to get more worried about the other two fish and what may be in my tank. Other two inhabitants are a maroon clownfish and a 1 inch trigger. The trigger came in with the marine betta, the maroon has been in there for about two weeks. I have been feeding them both food soaked in focus, kanaplex and metroplex as a preventative

OP
OP
D

drmantistoboggan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suspect the trigger and the Maroon Clown are stressing it out. This is the first time I’ve heard of a Marine Betta with adjustment issues. They’re supposed to be a nearly invincible fish.
I would have initially agreed with you, but I separated the maroon from everyone else. I put it in an acclimation box with a rock/arch yesterday and had moved the maroon to my sump about 4 days ago. The trigger doesn't even seem to notice the betta.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
White poop suggests internal parasite. You will want to treat with PraziPro ASAP.

OP
OP
D

drmantistoboggan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
White poop suggests internal parasite. You will want to treat with PraziPro ASAP.

fish is lying on it's side now, I will be surprised if it makes it until tomorrow. Should PraziPro be used in the whole tank?
does prazipro do anything that seachem focus with kanaplex and metroplex won't do. The other fish are eating and should be protected with the metroplex right?

OP
OP
D

drmantistoboggan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t mean to hijack but are Marine Bettas usually imported with these issues or are unhealthy specimens few and far between?

I've kept marine bettas in the past and never had any problems like this. They are typically considered extremely hardy, just finicky eaters.

OP
OP
D

drmantistoboggan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that’s what I’ve heard from almost everyone. Is yours taking flakes and pellets?

it never ate since it arrived. I tried LRS chunky blend, mysis, krill, flakes, pellets, soaking food in garlic and even tried live ghost shrimp. Was never interested in any food.

Back