White Bugs on Zoas

fraggingfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using the dips mentioned, there will definitely be be a huge affect on your snails as the chemicals are made to remove pests, including inverts.
I'm unable to confirm the validity of the image displayed, but do feel that they're possibly snails.

Did your snails perform any spawning rituals, or did they slip through you?

OP
OP
D

denihogan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I will make sure to keep this post updated; because as I searched through the internet over and over - I found a lot of suggestions, but no one ever replied back with what worked and what didn't.

1. I am glad someone else has had the same problem and I am not nuts! I was beginning to think I was going insane.

2. I am waiting for lugols and fairy wrasse to arrive (I live in tim-buck-two). I did not want to get a six-line because it says they have a bolder temperment...I am trying to stay friendly. I would like a mandarin, but afraid he would not get enough to eat (after the problem is solved.) In the meanwhile I have removed the zoas some of the zoas - some are attached to my larger base rocks.

3. Sorry for the fuzzy pictures - after you zoom in and zoom in and zoom in - this is what I got. I tried using my super-duper camera, but it could not focus. I thought I did a pretty good job...considering.

4. You are correct - I had some algae problems in some areas (lack of proper flow) - I had some of things get big and impede with the circulation. So (much to my husband's dismay) I broke my tank down this at 4 am on Saturday and spent 8 hours re-arranging to get some better flow and removed some of the rocks. And I finally caught my hitchhiker hairy crab (yay)! I am trying to find a good home for him. And now I am left with a bunch of extra pom-pom pulsing xenias.

5. As much as I stare at my tank...I would have a hard time believing they were nudibrachs - but I have known to be wrong before! I am watching them closely to see what they grow into (if anything.) It does not look like they are eating them, but certianly ticking them off (but then again, I could be wrong again...)

6. My cerith snails do spawn...but my last batch was a few months ago. I get about 5-10 that make it through every cycle. My stomanellas - either I have a ton or have a couple. I am on the side of a couple right now. They are certainly much quicker - but not sure if they are that quick. And, I personally, do not think they are snails - they move way to0 fast. Their moving style is much like an amphipod - cruising in and out of rocks. And whatever they are - they are all the same thing.

This is my first time using a forum - and I have to say you guys have been awesome!

Last edited:

Wy Renegade

Zs and Ps/PE collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool, keep us posted on the results. Hopefully they will solve the problem.

OP
OP
D

denihogan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Errr. The one reason I ordered $200 worth of fish/supplies was to help my problem (and get free shipping)...and, of course, the two things that do not show up are the items I need - coral dip and fairy wrasse! Murphy's law.

I love montana...but this sucks!

OP
OP
D

denihogan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok - I now have an update. I finally received a bottle of ReVive and 2 dragonettes - thanks to my husband. Just when I thought my husband hated my tank - he offered to pick these items up for me (and take in my frags...) when he went out of town and could access a reef shop. He was not thrilled when I sent a heater and pump with him for the frags. Maybe there is hope for him yet! At any rate, on to the update.

Results:
I dipped all of the zoas that I could get out of the tank. Obviously the ones attached to the base rocks became my 'control' group. A lot of the little white bugs (I am now conviced are a copepod) were left in the bottom of the bowl. And my dragonettes are going nuts. (I have over 100 lbs of live rock that have been established for years and after talking with the reef store - he assured me that the mandarin would have enough food to thrive.).

I am happy to report that the ones that I dipped are opening up a bit (I think it may take a while for them to fully recover.) While the ones that I did not dip are not open - they are looking like the want to open. So - it looks like the dip and the fish provide a faster route to recovery.

Thanks to everyone for your advice - and I hope this thread will be of use to others!

ReefersDirect

Reefers Direct
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bringing this thread back from the grave, anyone know the scientific name of these?

SGreene

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second the idea of getting a 6 line. These definitely are not harmless since your zoa colony is completely closed doesn't look good.

fishnchip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a little late to this thread but I think I have some of those white bugs. Can't seem to ID them. Did you ever figure out what they were? And how did you eradicate them? Thanks!!

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 40 46.5%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 7.0%
Back