White color on clown fish tail

philmister

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I just got a new clown fish from my local fish store. I notice there was while color on the rear tail, see photo attached. Do anyone know what it could be. Any information is appreciated.

Thanks,

Philip

Nemo tail white.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hi,

I just got a new clown fish from my local fish store. I notice there was while color on the rear tail, see photo attached. Do anyone know what it could be. Any information is appreciated.

Thanks,

Philip

Nemo tail white.jpg
can be one of 3 things:
Lymphocystis which I dont believe i is and would be viral
Pigment which is not typical on its tail
Fin ray damage from netting which i believe you are seeing and should repair itself. I mention the other two as you want to keep an eye on area for clearing and not developing into larger spot.
No need to react at this time and feed TDO pellets, mysis shrimp, small plankton and brine shrimp. Great looking sebae

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That could be Lymphocystis - a mild viral disease common in newly acquired marine fish. I don't see it a lot in clownfish, but they can get it. Basically, the virus invades the fish's skin cells and causes the cells to grow to a giant size. After a month or so, the fish fights the virus off and the skin cells return to normal.

Jay

OP
OP
P

philmister

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks jay, I was worried I had ick, even though I currently doing the tank transfer method. I was worried it’s not working. Much appreciate it.
Philip

OP
OP
P

philmister

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can be one of 3 things:
Lymphocystis which I dont believe i is and would be viral
Pigment which is not typical on its tail
Fin ray damage from netting which i believe you are seeing and should repair itself. I mention the other two as you want to keep an eye on area for clearing and not developing into larger spot.
No need to react at this time and feed TDO pellets, mysis shrimp, small plankton and brine shrimp. Great looking sebae
Thanks for your help. Yeah that one wife got from the LFS. ;)

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 58 39.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 17 11.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 42 28.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 29 19.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back