White dust coming from Canister filter after cleaning

Drdisrespect

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everyone, After cleaning Canister filter with Saltwater, I see white dust is coming from canister filter. Every minute and its making my Aquarium look cloudy.

I'm just worried about my fish, Did live bacteria died or something bad happened?

:(

7766581f-01f7-4f40-8518-d3519c08ecab.jpg

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have similar issue when cleaning the sponges in my all in one aquarium. It settles down after a few hours. I suspect my issue is due to fine sand I use. I haven’t notice any downside so fare but would be great other’s insights on this. My aquarium is new and I am hoping that this effective will reduce over time.

OP
OP
D

Drdisrespect

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use find sand too, Yesterday i stir my sand bed and i think that is the reason its causing the problem. Ugh!

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out of interest which sand did you use? Just wondering as there may be a pattern here. Mine is Red Sea live sand

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no corals yet. My aquarium is only going for 4-5 months. I had similar issue with freshwater tank before and it has reduced being cloudy after a few months. Keep washing the sponges and when you do water changes vacuum the sand. It should go away.
I guess you made the same mistake as I did and haven’t wash the sand before you used it.
I am now using a little pump for vacuuming the sand and drive it trough a filter sock. It helped a lot already.

OP
OP
D

Drdisrespect

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great how big is your tank and how many fish do you have ? I have few one coral

I just restarted the system by turning off and turning it on it worked.

It just flushed all the dust particles.

rob taft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my case, its from detritus etc. that coats the inside of the hoses and breaks free when moving the filter hoses, restarting the filter etc. One solution is to periodically clean the inside of the hoses when cleaning the filter using a brush like the one linked below. I have also placed a fine mesh bag with fine filter pad around the exit pipe prior to restarting the filter i.e. it traps the particles. Then I remove the bag. Couldn't get the Amazon link to embed so name and picture provided below.
-------------------------------------------
yueton Aquarium Water Filter Pipe Air Tube Hose Stainless Steel Cleaning Brush Flexible Double Ended Hose Brush(61inch)

1598903504000.png

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is 130liter with the filtering area. Have 2 damsels 2 clowns and a tang there. Not started corals as I am dealing with some Dinos in there and till that is sorted I didn’t want to take risks. Just waiting for my uv for the final resolution than corals will come.

OP
OP
D

Drdisrespect

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@rob taft Thanks for your help, Yes it helped when i restarted but i will try other steps you mention when i clean next month.

FYI @attiland Great, What kind of Tang do you have ?
34 gallon is too small for a tang. They get too stressed and they may get stress spots.

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@rob taft Thanks for your help, Yes it helped when i restarted but i will try other steps you mention when i clean next month.

FYI @attiland Great, What kind of Tang do you have ?
34 gallon is too small for a tang. They get too stressed and they may get stress spots.
I know tangs can get big. I am looking to move next year to a bigger house and hoping for a bigger DT. I have a Scopas Tang. It is a baby yet only about 4-5cm

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 40 46.0%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 20 23.0%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 21 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 6.9%
Back