White spot on Wrasse on Day 25

Biglurr54

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a flasher wrasse in QT. Hes been in QT for 27 days. There have been no issues and he is eating and happy. I did notice 2 days ago that he had one small white spot near his head. It was small like a grain of sand. It was on his head for approximately 12 hours then it was gone. Is this something I should be worried about? Should I observe longer. My display is disease/parasite free. I dont want to risk adding ich to the display if at all possible. If it was ich, how long until symptoms become visible?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has he been treated with any medications? Any sand in the QT?

OP
OP
B

Biglurr54

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two courses of prazi pro, and no sand in the qt.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two courses of prazi pro, and no sand in the qt.

If it was gone in roughly 12 hours, it might have just been debris stuck to his mucous coat. I would wait & see if anything like that reappears.

OP
OP
B

Biglurr54

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll be honest, it looked like something stuck to him. He wasn't brushing or scratching and playing in the flow. It was there out of no where then gone. No sign before no sign after and it didn't change in appearance. How much longer should I observe?

OP
OP
B

Biglurr54

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the wrasse was looking odd last night. Almost like sandpaper skin. No white spots but rough skin. This morning I went to feed and found the wrasse covered in slime and white spots. The lights were out and it was early so the wrasse was sleeping. I got the best photo I could. I pulled him out of observation and into ttm bucket. I dosed nitro green powder as well.

I hope it's not velvet as I have nothing on hand to treat velvet.

I'm glad I kept him in qt after seeing the first white spot.
f0ed1d2c4915b0bd70a8333c5fc1a323.jpg

OP
OP
B

Biglurr54

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can a fish have velvet for that long before it shows up?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can a fish have velvet for that long before it shows up?

Yes, especially if it was exposed to subtherapeutic copper before you got him. This is a strategy sometimes employed by LFS & online vendors. It keeps the number of free swimming parasites low, but doesn't fully eradicate them. So, the fish looks/acts fine because he is only carrying a few parasites (like in nature) and the copper level isn't high enough to cause side effects. However, once removed from subtherapeutic copper the parasite situation eventually gets out of hand. Sometimes quickly; sometimes delayed if the fish's natural immune system has adapted to how to best combat the parasites. Unfortunately, the immune system will often still lose in the end (in a closed system) unless you are running a UV or diatom filter to keep the number of free swimmers low.

OP
OP
B

Biglurr54

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats what i have been afraid of. I have been buying fish from a local guy who has a connection in NYC. I have lost 4 wrasses and 2 butterflies from him recently. I though it has been my QT process but I'm doubting that now being that i have never had any other failures with my QT process.

Humblefish, whats your protocol for new fish you get in. do you have a sticky of what you do. I appreciate all the work you do and feel like my best shot is to mimic your practices. I am going to talk to my vet about a script for CP. Hopefully I can get one.

If you have a link to you new fish process, i would ove to ready it.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats what i have been afraid of. I have been buying fish from a local guy who has a connection in NYC. I have lost 4 wrasses and 2 butterflies from him recently. I though it has been my QT process but I'm doubting that now being that i have never had any other failures with my QT process.

Humblefish, whats your protocol for new fish you get in. do you have a sticky of what you do. I appreciate all the work you do and feel like my best shot is to mimic your practices. I am going to talk to my vet about a script for CP. Hopefully I can get one.

If you have a link to you new fish process, i would ove to ready it.

My old protocol(s) can be found here: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/how-to-quarantine.189815/

Lately however, I've been treating with either full therapeutic copper or Chloroquine (depending upon the species) for 14 days, and then I transfer the fish to another QT for deworming (praziquantel + metronidazole).

I'm about to begin experimenting with using antibiotics prophylactically, in conjunction with copper/CP, after being hit hard by a bacterial infection.

OP
OP
B

Biglurr54

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the cp still effective at eradicating ich in 14 days. I've noticed your previous protocol included 30 days cp as past research said 14 days for velvet and 30 days for ich. I like the idea of 14 days in cp and then 3 weeks of monitoring / prazi pro. If that takes care of ich and velvet then I'm happy.

As for our wrasse friend, he is still kicking and appears to be doing better. I think the transfer to a new clean tank was good. Hopefully it was the worst case of ich and the wrasse will survive.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the cp still effective at eradicating ich in 14 days. I've noticed your previous protocol included 30 days cp as past research said 14 days for velvet and 30 days for ich. I like the idea of 14 days in cp and then 3 weeks of monitoring / prazi pro. If that takes care of ich and velvet then I'm happy.

Yes, but only if you transfer the fish into a second QT away from any unhatched tomonts in QT#1.

If you have just one QT to work with, it's still best to treat for 30 days.

OP
OP
B

Biglurr54

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the wrasse is slowly improving. It's in tank 2. It's began eating black worms again. I have co arriving Saturday. Hopefully is was ich and it's recovering.

If not I will place it in cp Saturday when I receive the meds.

OP
OP
B

Biglurr54

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well update on the wrasse. He's still kicking. No more spots and looks healthy in ttm. He is hiding in the bottom corners so I'm excited to get him out of ttm. We're only half way through but be seems happy.

I also built a new separate qt. I build a corner filter out of some old tank glass in a 20 long. I painted the tank black and have a maxijet 1200 for the return pump. I made a tray for filter media. I have a shrimp cycling now. I'll post a build thread in the qt section when I have some time.

I also got some cp in the mail so I am now ready for whatever I get.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wrasse often carry velvet without symptom. I wouldn’t go without treating them even without symptoms. Sorry, but at least you know what you’re dealing with now!

OP
OP
B

Biglurr54

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you treat them? It's a flasher. I have cp. I can get copper if needed. Is it possible for a fish completely infected with velvet to recover like this through just tank transfer

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you treat them? It's a flasher. I have cp. I can get copper if needed. Is it possible for a fish completely infected with velvet to recover like this through just tank transfer
Tank transfer, no.

Wrasse do fine in copper if tested properly (Hanna copper checker for example) and you have the correct type (Copper Power is my choice). You’ll have to watch for secondary infections but I’d do a freshwater dip ASAP.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/velvet-amyloodinium-ocellatum.217570/

OP
OP
B

Biglurr54

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just wondering if it wasn't velvet. I don't want to stress the fish with a copper treatment if not needed.

The fish as you can see in the photos was covered in spots and mucus. It was lying on the bottom gasping.

I transferred him to a bucket immediately. Then after 72 hours he went into the next bucket. He looks better. No spots no mucus and breathing normal. He has continued to improve and all that has been don't for treatment is ttm. If this was velvet wouldn't he be a goner?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back