White spots on my bicolor blenny

bryan:))

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG20230228233123.jpg
Hi guys, i currently have a bicolor blenny in my 20 gallon tank. When i went to my LFS yesterday to get some fishes, i noticed that there were white spots on this bicolor blenny. The owner told me it was just stress and not ich, so i proceeded to buy it since i really wanted it. But today it started getting worse, he didnt eat and swim around much. Should i be worried about it?. I have another diamond goby that is very happy in my tank(if it helps)
Any help would be appreciated
Just started reefing so don't know much about these

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
IMG20230228233123.jpg
Hi guys, i currently have a bicolor blenny in my 20 gallon tank. When i went to my LFS yesterday to get some fishes, i noticed that there were white spots on this bicolor blenny. The owner told me it was just stress and not ich, so i proceeded to buy it since i really wanted it. But today it started getting worse, he didnt eat and swim around much. Should i be worried about it?. I have another diamond goby that is very happy in my tank(if it helps)
This is no doubt ich and I would consider a different LFS- In this hobby its worth the drive.
I Personally would take the fish back and tell him you dont want ich in the tank and therefore dont want the fish and get a credit- But I'd be reluctant to buy any other fish from that store.
If you choose to treat it, This fish is a little different with treatment. You will have to acquire and set up a quarantine tank.
Treat with Coppersafe or Copper Power at therapeutic level 2.25-2.5 For a FULL 30 days (do not interrupt this 30 day period) monitored by a reliable Copper Test kit such as Hanna Brand- No API brand. Also monitor Ammonia levels while in quarantine with a reliable test kit and add aeration during treatment using an air stone.
The display tank will have to be kept fishless (FALLOW) for 6-8 weeks to assure the existing parasites go through their life cycle without a host fish and die off
A quarantine tank can be as simple as a starter kit from Walmart which most of the needed essentials.

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG20230228233123.jpg
The size of the spots is consistent with ich. Im not being rude when I say this, but you noticed something wrong at the store and the store contradicted this. The number one thing to learn when buying fish from an LFS is the fish should appear healthy and eating. If something looks wrong it probably is, and you should refrain from the purchase.

OP
OP
B

bryan:))

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is this still an early stage of ich, is it curable? around how long more before it dies?
sorry for the dumb questions i really dont want it to die

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is curable, you just need to get it into qt with a copper medication at the appropriate level of concentration. but be aware, ich is now in your tank, and it does not go away on its own.

Zoolannder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is no doubt ich and I would consider a different LFS- In this hobby its worth the drive.
I Personally would take the fish back and tell him you dont want ich in the tank and therefore dont want the fish and get a credit- But I'd be reluctant to buy any other fish from that store.
If you choose to treat it, This fish is a little different with treatment. You will have to acquire and set up a quarantine tank.
Treat with Coppersafe or Copper Power at therapeutic level 2.25-2.5 For a FULL 30 days (do not interrupt this 30 day period) monitored by a reliable Copper Test kit such as Hanna Brand- No API brand. Also monitor Ammonia levels while in quarantine with a reliable test kit and add aeration during treatment using an air stone.
The display tank will have to be kept fishless (FALLOW) for 6-8 weeks to assure the existing parasites go through their life cycle without a host fish and die off
A quarantine tank can be as simple as a starter kit from Walmart which most of the needed essentials.
No its not. Bicolours show these exact markings when stressed

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 24 22.9%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 75 71.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.8%
Back