White spotted anemone shrimp parasite?

Juicereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi gang! My little guy has a trilobite shaped critter on the left side of his body underneath one of his spots.

Can anyone help me treat/identify this? Manual removal, soak etc. it looks like some sort of predatory isopod and am worried it could spread to my 6 sexy shrimp. IMG_0267.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0269.mov
    36.6 MB
OP
OP
Juicereef

Juicereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi gang! My little guy has a trilobite shaped critter on the left side of his body underneath one of his spots.

Can anyone help me treat/identify this? Manual removal, soak etc. it looks like some sort of predatory isopod and am worried it could spread to my 6 sexy shrimp. IMG_0267.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    240.8 KB · Views: 44

DaJMasta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the little spot low on the shell, towards the front? A smaller one, but I would guess is a parasitic isopod that lives under the shell on its gills.

Not actually super hard to remove, but you need a suitably small tool - I used a needle threader intended for sewing needles. Just made a video of a procedure like this done on an antonbruunii cleaner shrimp, but the first time I did it, it was on one of these white spot cleaners, and I described it here: https://wamas.org/forums/topic/99548-shrimp-surgery-removing-a-parasitic-isopod/

OP
OP
Juicereef

Juicereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the little spot low on the shell, towards the front? A smaller one, but I would guess is a parasitic isopod that lives under the shell on its gills.

Not actually super hard to remove, but you need a suitably small tool - I used a needle threader intended for sewing needles. Just made a video of a procedure like this done on an antonbruunii cleaner shrimp, but the first time I did it, it was on one of these white spot cleaners, and I described it here: https://wamas.org/forums/topic/99548-shrimp-surgery-removing-a-parasitic-isopod/
Thank you so much, my local aquarium guy is going to help me with the removal after you sending this over. I have a bit of a shaky hand

DaJMasta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran into a similar thing the last time I did it, if you're working against a table or similar, just make sure your hands are in contact with it - having something to lightly press against engages the muscles and lessens any tremors quite significantly, whereas just holding your hands in the air will let the shake be many times more significant.

It is relatively fine detail work, though, so it doesn't hurt to find someone with some experience steadying their hands.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back