White tips Good and Bad

LadyTang2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes white tips are a sign of trouble but I see white tips when corals are growing too. How can you tell if your white tips are a sign of trouble or just growth?

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think white growth tips won't spread down the branch, they'll stay relatively the same size as older growth colors up. I think generally too, you'll see the growth tips on most of the branches, whereas if it's RTN/STN it would be more localized. I'm far from a SPS expert though.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they are uniform and show a slight tint of the normal coral color (like super light pink on a red coral), then growth... usually. You should also just be able to tell that your corals are growing - take some photos to keep around for reference.

It takes a while for the zoox to populate the new growth areas, which is why a lot of new growth is a different colors... it is not always white and sometimes it is purple, green, etc. Some growth is the same color as the coral. This is highly variable.

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't see white on the ends of SPS, especially like fast growers like caps and digipora they arent growing well.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 43 21.0%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 149 72.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.9%
Back