White vs Blue; Which grows coral better?

05grandprix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

brad65ford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We've all seen this subject and its debate though yet again its like cancer there is not exact answer or reasoning at the moment to be more the gospel which ....... sucks. Like other long time LED reefers I will admit softies/lps's seem to enjoy or favor these white led's while sps's seem to favor the blue side of the spectrum.

Russ265

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We've all seen this subject and its debate though yet again its like cancer there is not exact answer or reasoning at the moment to be more the gospel which ....... sucks. Like other long time LED reefers I will admit softies/lps's seem to enjoy or favor these white led's while sps's seem to favor the blue side of the spectrum.

indonesian gonies and elegance may disagree.

what "long time" reefers state softies and lps want white light? ive never heard of this before....

Last edited:

buckeye82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a spicy thread.

312329-b619c9ef271c423a7dee948a419d599d.jpg

Back to the action.....

brad65ford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
indonesian gonies and elegance may disagree.

what "long time" reefers state softies and lps want white light? ive never heard of this before.... ever.
me :) Heck you can grow a lot of softies with just 6-10k leds and no blues been there done that. Can grow them with just blues as well but not as well from my experience. Put a kenya tree in a tank lite by only 10k leds and then another tank just run any 1 blue spectrum LED say 420nm with a kenya tree coral and see which one grows better or even stays up ;)

Last edited:

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm. I'll refer back to I'll go back to set it to how it looks good to you with a quality fixture.
Just check with a meter you have enough intensity. Acclimate slowly.

Fwiw % of what. Full? Full us how much.

twreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is why I love programmable LEDs like my AI Hydra. My lights are programmed to go through different color spectrums throughout the day. It gives corals a variety of spectrum and intensities, while giving me a continually changing look to my tank. During the morning its more white, going blue in the afternoon, and then to a late evening fluorescent view to make the corals pop after dark. Corals adapt, just make their changes slow.

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the sea, as the water depth increases, light of different colours is filtered out, starting with the longer wavelengths, so as you go deeper light shifts towards blue and eventually black, so depth is actually important on colour temperature, it could be argued though that at the depths our corals are collected from how much has this change actually occurred? And how big is its influence, I for one set my lights (Orpheks) to what I like, I've spent thousands on my tank so my enjoyment and viewing pleasure comes first as long as I'm not inhibiting growth this strategy works for me

Stigigemla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sad to say but i believe there is no direct answer to the question. When we shifted from MH to T5 we noticed that some corals really liked the T5 light better.
Now when shifting from T5 to led it is a bit more complicated because led lights are so different. Some have a very strict radiation pattern like Kessil while other have a more diffuse light like Giesemann or Nyos. And then it is the colour too.
By me it seems like the birdsnest for instance like a more diffuse light and don`t shift so much in colour because of the colour of the light if just the white light is strong enough.
My red Montipora digitata didnt colour up under T5 like they did under MH but now under 90 degrees strong led they are getting light red again.
Most Acropora (maybe not deepwater) seems to like strong direct white light the best.
It seems to me that it is easier to bleach corals with white light. (My white light is +20 000 K)
Most fishes look awful in blue light so do have at least a little of white light to make them look better.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you running regional setting. Was wondering if the % mattered when running as Jakarta setting or will it only go up to the % set in the regional settings

I don't have Radions, I'm running 4 y/o AI Vega Color lights. With this research ongoing I may very well spring for them with my next build though. I was already running blues around 90% before this adjustment. For what ever reason, decreasing white and increasing red seems to have helped my growth and color significantly. Of course it could be completely unrelated to the lighting change.

WetWhistle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
everyone is so focused on par and pur but dont really take in to account "rest". that is why i take very little of "experienced" reefkeepers advice and stick to the white papers, unless it isnt well-documented.

There is a large flaw in the approach of people not listening to "experienced" reefkeepers advice. No matter how much someone has read and think they have learned from what they have read, it will do them no good without experience. Experience enables people to actually understand what they have learned and the knowledge base of how to implement what they have learned properly. Without experience someone has not done something they read about it. Reading about it is nothing like experience and is not a substitute for it. If someone has only read about it why should people take their advice over someone that has actually done it? I sure would not. It makes the person sound like they think they know more then someone that has actually done it. This is not true most of the time and comes of arrogant. I can guarantee you that if someone who has experience were to read the same thing as someone who doesn't, the experienced person will take more out of it and understand the concepts more. Not just parts of it like someone without experience would. Because past experience has already laid the groundwork for understanding. Nothing beats experience in doing anything in life. If that thought process was true it would be the same as I read about how to treat illness on the internet so that means I should not listen to a Dr because I read about it. Or someone knows more about chemistry then Randy because they read about it so they should take his advice with a grain of salt. Or that someone that has 5 years in this hobby has a better knowledge base and understanding then someone with 10 years or more because they read about it. None of these are true. You are allowed to have your opinion but this thought process sets a bad example for the new people in this hobby that hear someone say they don't listen to people with experience. That gives them the impression that they should not and that is bad advice. (Not saying you gave that advice) I will put my bet on someone with experience over someone that has read about it any day. I definitely take what people have to say that have only read about something with a grain of salt. Not attacking you I just disagree and am just expressing my opinion.

For the comment of people being focused on par and pur but don't really take into account "rest". The same can be said about the other factors like proper available nutrients, waterflow and experience level that also factor into coral growth. Experience level is one of the most important things in this hobby to be successful. The more you do the more you have learned. A large portion of success in coral growth comes down to experience. A lot of the time the deciding factor if a coral is going to grow, to live or die depends on the reefers experience level. Not because they read about it they are good to go. By you ignoring experience you are just as guilty as those that didn't factor in the rest period.

Russ265

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a large flaw in the approach of people not listening to "experienced" reefkeepers advice. No matter how much someone has read and think they have learned from what they have read, it will do them no good without experience. Experience enables people to actually understand what they have learned and the knowledge base of how to implement what they have learned properly. Without experience someone has not done something they read about it. Reading about it is nothing like experience and is not a substitute for it. If someone has only read about it why should people take their advice over someone that has actually done it? I sure would not. It makes the person sound like they think they know more then someone that has actually done it. This is not true most of the time and comes of arrogant. I can guarantee you that if someone who has experience were to read the same thing as someone who doesn't, the experienced person will take more out of it and understand the concepts more. Not just parts of it like someone without experience would. Because past experience has already laid the groundwork for understanding. Nothing beats experience in doing anything in life. If that thought process was true it would be the same as I read about how to treat illness on the internet so that means I should not listen to a Dr because I read about it. Or someone knows more about chemistry then Randy because they read about it so they should take his advice with a grain of salt. Or that someone that has 5 years in this hobby has a better knowledge base and understanding then someone with 10 years or more because they read about it. None of these are true. You are allowed to have your opinion but this thought process sets a bad example for the new people in this hobby that hear someone say they don't listen to people with experience. That gives them the impression that they should not and that is bad advice. (Not saying you gave that advice) I will put my bet on someone with experience over someone that has read about it any day. I definitely take what people have to say that have only read about something with a grain of salt. Not attacking you I just disagree and am just expressing my opinion.

For the comment of people being focused on par and pur but don't really take into account "rest". The same can be said about the other factors like proper available nutrients, waterflow and experience level that also factor into coral growth. Experience level is one of the most important things in this hobby to be successful. The more you do the more you have learned. A large portion of success in coral growth comes down to experience. A lot of the time the deciding factor if a coral is going to grow, to live or die depends on the reefers experience level. Not because they read about it they are good to go. By you ignoring experience you are just as guilty as those that didn't factor in the rest period.

after reading your wall of text you have just solidified my thoughts on so called "experienced" reef keepers.

dont take it personally... but its hard for any coral to not thrive in my tank let alone die. i think you need to toot your horn to those that need it.

ill keep my experience until i ask what im doing wrong.

while you may be correct in some areas, old school reef keeping dies easy. last year it was 0 nutrients, this year some. bioballs. etc. those white papers keep on ticking even before paul b had a tank.

ill trust a scientist in the field over a country bumpkin with a glass box any day of the week. idc the years they owned it.

my .02

Last edited:

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking of writing something long or very long but i can´t help thinking of on one thing:

Are You still following this thread Jakepen?
Yea, I remember the first time one of my threads blew up :eek:

Kungpaoshizi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's like asking 'Which makes you see better, farsightedness or nearsightedness?'
:)

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you want to say your "expensive" led does more then there is nothing for me to advocate.

lot of wasted green, yellow, and orange light

You edited your post after I replied to it.

Nothing you posted there though has anything to do with what I said. I never claimed one led did more than another. Just that you can't eyeball a light and tell if it will grow/color coral or not.

I don't own any "expensive" LEDs, I just used it as an example so I don't know why you made that comment.

OP
OP
Jakepen

Jakepen

Few beers and I'll frag anything...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha yeah I'm sort of following. A whole lot of this talk is going over my head, and it turned into a much more heated debate than I thought it would. I love it though, and I plan to read in depth and try to understand everybody's argument. Thank you guys, for your participation.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 63 34.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 26.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 58 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back