Who can recommend me a table saw?

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a bigger version of that Dewalt. It is great. Can't go wrong with it.

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can u tell me what I will be limited doing with this one?
Uhhh... You will be limited to cutting things....? hahah

You can cut anything that any other table saw can handle, assuming you put the right blade on. It's a 10" blade which means you can only realistically cut through things up to 4" thick. Unless you are cutting railroad ties, I don't think that's going to be much of a problem. What do you want it to do for you? It will rip down sheets, it will cut standard lumber.

OP
OP
P

ps2cho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess that was my question having never owned. So it'll cut 4" max thickness then.... i don't think I'd ever need to cut anything bicker than that though? For a basic DIYer that is.

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can cut things that are 8" thick, but it will take two passes. Really you're probably not going to want something thicker than a 4x4 anyway.

SteveSTL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Save some money and look on craigslist for an old craftsman contractors saw (one that has legs and the motor hangs off the back and is belt driven. You can pick one up for 75 bucks or so and have a tablesaw that will outlast you. I had one for years until I came across a Powermatic 65 cabinet saw that I couldn't pass up.

The Powermatic is out in the equipment room and I have an old Craftsman (King Seeley) in the shop for making quick cuts. If you go this route, just be sure that the prefix on the serial number is 113 as that denotes it was made by Emerson. DON'T get the direct drive saw as those things are noisy and underpowered.

SteveSTL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And plan to spend 60 or 70 bucks on a nice blade (Freud thin kerf, etc.) as the saw is only as good as the blade it's spinning.

ultimatemj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Comes done to what you need/want it to do on a regular basis.

If you are focused on mobility, the saw in the OP is a fine choice.
If you want to be able to get "glue joint" clean cuts (say for making cabinets) you will want to look for a saw that separates the motor from the blade. Typically these are open cabinet and referred to as contractor saws. Note: The fence type also plays a big part in accuracy.
If you want to be able to cut lumber thicker than 2" , you will want to look at higher power (3hp to 5hp) cabinet saws. These are not mobile. Jet, Delta, Powermatic, laguna, etc.

Check out some of the webstores like woodcraft, rockler, etc.

Another angle to look at is "track saws"....ranging from Festool to http://www.eurekazone.com/ Basic idea is when cutting large things (like sheet goods) it is easier to move the blade than the large thing. Bonus, it is mobile and your hand is not near the blade :)

I have both a Jet contractor saw and a eurekazone track saw, because they both have strengths.

Last edited:

ReeferBob

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You cannot put a dado set on this saw. It also doesn't come with a stand. I am in the market for a new table saw as well. Be wary of Craftsman (the regular line) has a proprietary miter track (5/8 "T" style) - so it won't take aftermarket jigs and such like Kreg products which use the more standard 3/4" track.

Cayenne1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a newer model than the one in your link. But, I have the DeWalt 7491rs which has a rolling stand and more features than the 745. Of course, it also costs more. It is still a contractor saw, not a cabinet saw which can cost over a thousand or more.

I preferred that saw because it can be unfolded, rolled out to be used, then rolled back and folded out of the way. Space is often an issue in a home shop so it is very handy. However, you can drop into the woodworker rabbit hole with tools real quick.

As mentioned, you need a good blade for the saw. And then how about a good miter saw, planner, jointer, band saw, table router and bits, spray gun w/ compressor, oh my oh my it goes on and on. I'm a bit cheeky here, but only to be aware that the folks that make the furniture grade stands usually invest a ton in their tools.

You can make a good stand however with out a fortune in tools, but it usually takes more time. And, unless you'd like to go into the woodworking hobby why spend more money than you need. To circle back though, a good tablesaw is a good tool to have.

If you have a lot of money and space, there's a SawStop table saw. It has technology to stop the saw if you stick you finger or hand into the spinning blade without damage - to your hand not the saw. I'm still amazed at that one.

Lastly, a big advantage to the woodworking hobby is that they too can spend thousands of dollars, but can turn the lights out, go on vacation, come back and everything is still happy. But, how boring is that compared to the beautiful coral gardens so many members achieve.

ermartin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Find a used BT3000. That thing is solid expandable fence and you can find one used at a resonable price and it will outperform any of these NEW table top saws that cost more

michaelrc51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the larger DeWalt and it's great.

Portable saw just limit you in the size of material you can effectively use but unless you are going to be cutting down larger sheets that may not be an issue for you. For large sheets of material a large fixed table saw is great but it takes up a lot of space.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Cant use a Dado blade with the Dewalt. Other than that they are good saws.

This is what I was going to say.
I do not see that it works with dado blades, allot of portable table saws do not. It is important though if you do any cabinetry.
Dewalt is very good.

There are better ways to rip plywood than a small table saw unless you build a larger table. Almost better to buy a guide for a circular saw for large plywood.

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a carpenter and agree I use a rip guide or even a long level and clamps as a guide on my bosch circular much more often than wrestling sheets on a portable table saw.
I do still have a portable tablesaw for finer cuts, also a Bosch, and that is my personal favorite for a portable.

Last edited:

ReeferBob

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the saw you need. Really good value!

http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-1...able-Saw-R4512/202500206?keyword=ridgid+r4512

79aab6e4-a7f0-43f8-ae80-739b428bfae3_1000.jpg

keithp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are lots of saws available and most would work but some can make it much easier. We don't know your priorities. I suggest looking at two or more review sites online. Amazon is better than nothing but try to find comprehensive reviews from an expert.

Consider:
Cost
storage space
Fence quality
Noise
Vibration
Power
Mobility
Stability
Adjustability
Smoothness, size and friction of the surface
Mounting options for other tools like routers
Dust collection
Rust resistance if near salty ocean air or damp areas
Safety
Ease of use

I personally use a track saw and get similar results without having to store the big saw. A nice circular saw and straight edge worked in the past but is more difficult to get perfect cuts and you make more mistakes. I have free access to my dads cabinet saw but it would only be worth the trip for repetitive cuts like when making a few dozen identical drawers.

As mentioned previously, you should buy a quality blade and take care of it. Most saws will make better cuts if you replace the cheap blade they come with.

Table saws are dangerous and I know several people who lost fingers when using a saw with safety features disabled so read the directions twice, be prepared for kickback, use push sticks when appropriate, and always use safety glasses and dust mask.

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 11 8.6%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 56 43.8%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 60 46.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back