Who else cultures their own rotifers?

surfnsalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just looking for more info/experiences and tips from those who actually do this? From what info I found online and from my lfs it's pretty simple. I got food and some a culture from my lfs and made the set up you see in the pic. (1 gallon)I plan to use 20% a day and replace with new water and food. Now I'm not sure what effect dumping x amount of rotifers a day in my tanks is going to have seeing as I only have nanos? I did get a sieve but saw that some dump the water right in dt. Just thought it be cool to give it a shot. Any info is appreciated.

1452135943066.jpg

jerseypete

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was doing it with pods. Used to hold the container over the tank and open spout. The only thing that sometimes happened was the skimmer would go nuts. Now I use a sieve.

zeeGGee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what do you feed your rotifers? Can I use Kent Phytomax/phytoplex?

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's surprisingly easy to culture rots, I had 2 5g buckets going when I was raising clowns. I had a rigid airline with a slow rolling bubbles of air. I'd harvest 2 16oz cups a day and replace with new water and rotigrow+. Other than that I'd change out to a clean bucket once a week. Had them going for over 6 months and never had a crash.

I'd recommend using the sieve especially since you have a nano, maybe even rinse with clean salt water. That water is filthy and high in ammonia. In a small system I'd be a little causious.

rjl45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I culture phytoplanton so I can culture tisbe pods for my manderin. Fairly easy. Just need an air pump and some f/2 for the phyto. I harvest a "big scoop with my sieve" out of 1 bucket every day and feed to my tank. Do water changes every 2 weeks on the buckets and dose extra phyto to the tank whenever I have extra. Ignore the numbers...just some notes so I can keep track of progress.
f9c97f1b9252151d9bd9e5518b5d3fe5.jpg
46c453179ed3c5b8634ccbcda8b3997b.jpg

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 25 43.1%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 18 31.0%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 11 19.0%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 3 5.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back