Who has a Lifereef Skimmer?

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Did yours create a ton of bubbles? Does it ever go away? I know they have a break in period like all skimmers but I tried turning down the output valve and the pump. And there’s still a million small bubbles everywhere which cloud the water and stick to Hewbie. They do go away immediately after turning the skimmer off so it’s definitely the skimmer creating them. I may just have to get a sponge or elbow to put over the valve. But for those of you who have a Lifereef skimmer do the bubbles become less after the break in period or is this just normal with a Venturi skimmer? What is your solution to this?
1706068448639.jpeg

1706068395954.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Did yours create a ton of bubbles? Does it ever go away? I know they have a break in period like all skimmers but I tried turning down the output valve. And there’s a million small bubbles everywhere which cloud the water and stick to Hewbie. They do go away immediately after turning the skimmer off so it’s definitely the skimmer creating them. I may just have to get a sponge or elbow to put over the valve. But for those of you who have a Lifereef skimmer do the bubbles become less after the break in period or is this just normal with a Venturi skimmer?
1706068448639.jpeg

1706068395954.jpeg
The water level seems low as i believe these skimmers call for 7-8" water height and assure the air valve is not wide open
There should be You tube videos for this unit

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The water level seems low as i believe these skimmers call for 7-8" water height and assure the air valve is not wide open
There should be You tube videos for this unit
It definitely is over that! I raised the water level actually and it still creates bubbles and the valve is not all the way open.
IMG_5785.jpeg

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a short distance from skimmer to return pump. Can you switch the cannisters and skimmer? Maybe find a location to place some Aquamesh as a bubble trap.

DJF

know less, learn more
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree if you are able to put the reactors in the 2nd chamber and the skimmer in the first chamber (distancing it from the return) it will help.

DCR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 36" LR that I bought used and I have never had an issue with micro bubbles coming out of it. Your skimmer column does not look right. It should be almost totally white with bubbles. Yours looks translucent. I don't know what that means. Maybe it is simply due to the surface films with break-in or maybe it is something in the way you have it set up, but I am not seeing anything wrong with your set up.

JC1977

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run two lifereef skimmers on my system and had lots of micro bubbles when I first started running them. It should go away as it breaks in. The suction noise from the Venturi will also die down as well.

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I run two lifereef skimmers on my system and had lots of micro bubbles when I first started running them. It should go away as it breaks in. The suction noise from the Venturi will also die down as well.
Glad to hear about both because yes it’s very loud.

DJF

know less, learn more
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t switch it unfortunately.
Understood. Interesting set up. Most sumps I’ve seen have the skimmer chamber just after the water comes in (unless Triton). Lifereef is a reputable skimmer; sounds will be fine after the break-in. Keep the thread posted; I’m curious as Lifereef is on my radar for future equipment.

DCR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run my Lifereef skimmer in the same compartment as the return pump and do not get bubbles in the return. You should not have to move it.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back