Who is the jerk in your tank?

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is one of my Favorite fish so it gets a pass.

Have you tried running two different clips?

I have one on each end of the tank
Yep. Then it’s like watching a tennis match. He swims back and forth between the 2 chasing anyone near away. And I have an 8’ tank!

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I try to avoid using the term mean or jerk when it comes to animals. Jerk implies a right and wrong way for the fish to act (i.e. social norms or morals). If an animal in captivity is being aggressive, something about the environment is causing it to be aggressive. So when you keep a fish and you notice aggressive behavior, ask yourself, "What about this environment, be that physical, biochemical, or social, is causing this behavior?"

bxclent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me, it is this guy...

IMG_0937.jpg

Any time I get my hand within a couple feet of the Euphillia he calls home, he swims over and bites me. Not painful, but startling for sure.. lol... He is fine with the other fish in the tank, but he definitely doesn't like my hand. Or maybe, he likes it, just in the wrong way lol.

So, who is your tank jerk?
My female clown, Ginger, can be a jerk with me. However, she's fine with her tankmates.... though a little bossy at times.

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I try to avoid using the term mean or jerk when it comes to animals. Jerk implies a right and wrong way for the fish to act (i.e. social norms or morals). If an animal in captivity is being aggressive, its extremely likely that something about the environment is causing it to be aggressive. So when you keep a fish and you notice this aggresive behavior, ask yourself, "What about this environment, be that physical, biochemical, or social, is causing this behavior?"
You are right. I prefer to call my Desjardi a flippin ay hole.

OP
OP
Jedi1199

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I try to avoid using the term mean or jerk when it comes to animals. Jerk implies a right and wrong way for the fish to act (i.e. social norms or morals). If an animal in captivity is being aggressive, something about the environment is causing it to be aggressive. So when you keep a fish and you notice aggressive behavior, ask yourself, "What about this environment, be that physical, biochemical, or social, is causing this behavior?"

If it helps you sleep better, think of my use of the word "jerk" as the reflexive action that happens whenever he bites me.

As I said above, he is fine with the tankmates, he just doesn't like it when my hand gets near his home.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While the last sentence rings true, there are temperamentally aggressive fish.

When calling a fish a jerk, we aren't talking to the fish and need to worry about its feelings.

We are talking to people who know fish so we personify the animal with a term other people understand.

OP
OP
Jedi1199

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found it!!!

Here is the thread that @revhtree posted about the "Red Saddleback Anemonefish"

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The LFS called it a "Cherry Tomato Clown" I was looking for a true name for it before I posted this thread. I haven't found it online yet. @revhtree posted a thread about this fish several years ago, but I haven't been able to find that post again.

Based on body shape and general temperament, I am going with a clown variety, but subsequent searches have yet to yield a true name for it.
I’ve not seen a clown with that coloration . Nice fish !

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got 3 jerks in my tank.

This clown jumped out of the tank trying to get my hand early in her life, bounced off the floor but still going.

Clowns20.jpg

Then there's the nasty to all fish 2 spot tang.

Tang7.jpg

But the meanest fish to all others is this guy

LongNoseHawk13.jpg

He's close to 5" long now and rules the tank. No one gets in his way, ever.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
my midas blenny! definitely likes to roam the tank and supervise what each inhabitant is doing. anyone who gets close to its hiding/perching spots will get chased off. only my yellow coris wrasse fights back

Redbeardz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I crossed my fingers and hoped he would play nice…..not the case!! I knew the odds were against me though. I will be finding a new home for my clown tang soon. He goes after everybody, not just the other tangs. I even put 4 nori clips in the tank. He thinks they are all his. He darts across the tank at lightning speeds defending each one like a demon from hell. I picked him up when he was only about 2”. He did ok for the first year I had him. He’s about 4.5” now and his attitude has changed drastically.
A649FEC2-5D98-41CD-A098-058D4D586CD6.jpeg

Back