Who keeps the hatching tank "Black"?

LatinKing

Clownfish Breeder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently, I hadspoken to a breeder and he stated that he keeps the hatching tank "AllBlack", starting from the night the eggs are to hatch until the fry’s arepast a week. He said that any light will make the fry's go to the bottom anddie.
How many peoplehere support this statement?
How many people here cover there tank completely?

Would like membershere post their comments and upload a picture of their hatching tank.

ignatz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You haven't given enough information about what's in the hatching tank. For example, are you using greenwater? If so, what kinda of algae? I think the person you spoke with is correct, if you use too much light over the hatching tank the larvae will try to swim deeper and die. If you don't use enough light, the fish can't see what they're hunting for so there must be balance. My expereince does not indicate a full week of all black is necessary. I do "all black" for night 0 only.

Midway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have all my hatching tanks permanently black and bottom white so I can see when I siphon all the gunk that accumulates on the bottom. I have dedicated hatching tanks so I used to bother cover them black and then remove the black, then I decided it was too much and just have something like 5 or 6 tanks dedicated for hatching and let them grow in the same hatching tanks for the first 20 to 30 days depending the availability.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 42 33.1%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 33 26.0%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 27 21.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 24 18.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back