Who leaves moonlights on all night?

gmastr85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to find out if most people leave moonlights on all night or turn off all lights completely.

I used to leave them on all night, but started switching them off about 6 months ago. I didn't really notice any difference in the corals. But I know some of their reproductive systems depend on the moon. So does anyone have any opinions on what is better? Leaving them on or not? Is there a scientific study on moon lighting in a home aquarium and its effects/benefits?

brownsalt92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 29 with coral compulsion in it. and a 90 gallon display with t5. I have moonlights on till 3 am in my 90 display and 6 am in my 29. The 29 I can scale up and down tho with the program able unit. I don't think it affects my coral but I like the look and I think it helps the fish

OP
OP
gmastr85

gmastr85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's close to what I currently do. I have a 120 display and a 60 frag. I used to keep the lights on all night at 1% blue, but now the moonlights stay on til about 11:30pm. I am kind of just looking for a reason to either keep them on all night or a reason not to. Wondering if there was any evidence of what is better.... I personally don't think it's made any difference in my tank. But hoping someone might chime in with something...

IronVulture

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use to keep my moon lights on all night but my fish started looking stressed so I switched to turning them off 7.5 hours a night. Now they go off right before I go to sleep and come back on right after I wake up and my fish definitely seam to be much happier. As far as corals go I did not notice any difference either way.

OP
OP
gmastr85

gmastr85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never noticed a difference in my fish or corals. The actual reason I stopped running moodlights all night long was because I was getting some algae in my main display. I figured that running moonlights all night could be contributing to the algae growth. Not sure on the algae but that problem is long gone. So I do the same thing... I turn them off for about 9 hours at night. But I'm wondering if I'm hurting my corals growth or reproductive cycle....

steve&mari

Blessed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt it's having a effect on the corals either way. I have our running off controller and following the lunar cycle so depending on the night as to if the moonlighting is bright or dim and off some nights. I think it's the only way to actually have a impact on the livestock really. It's been shown to help spawning with some species.

DaveMorris

MACNA2016 Co-Chair
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My RKE controls my moonlights in both intensity and duration based on the lunar cycle here on the west coast. God doesn't turn off the moon, why should I?

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll be using simple timers on my current project but my plan is to leave my lunar LEDs on all night for couple days each month.. Have used this method on past tanks and my corals seem to like it

OP
OP
gmastr85

gmastr85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I'll have to switch on my moonlights for the entire night again... Not sure if I'd notice any difference but you are right, it can't hurt....

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I have found is depending on the par of the moonlights interferes with nighttime feeding response.

Duke4Life

Just a crazy eel guy, LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For my 125 I do lights out from 11pm - 7am, blues only from 7pm - 11pm, powerheads go off at 8pm and return on at 715am (a few fish sleep in the mini disc golf basket). Everything seems happy and healthy.

OP
OP
gmastr85

gmastr85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good point on the nighttime feeding response. I've noticed that when my moonlights are on, most chalices and favias and a few others won't put their tentacles out. But as soon as its completely dark they will.. You may be onto something!

OP
OP
gmastr85

gmastr85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone ever done a study on the subject? Any scientific data about this?

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I first got moonlights....I think about 2009....I would leave them on until I went to bed. Within a week or two I noticed my Mexican Turbo would not come out and play with the moonlights on. At that point they became a part of my light cycle as early dawn and late evening. Now everyone is happy in total darkness for a good sleep, or cruising around the tank in total darkness to eat and party.

OP
OP
gmastr85

gmastr85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess that's what most do.. turn them off for atleast 8 hours.... I guess many critters and corals will only react to darkness...

Thunt4jr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live my moonlight on at 1% after 11 pm to 6 am. It makes a perfect night light for any of us during the night.

Stephenj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was a little worried at first to leave mine on because of reading others peoples response but it depends on the water of your tank and the fish my black Moor loves the blue light and it’s also my night time light I’ve never noticed him stressed at all he prefers it over the actual light tbh so I’ll be continuing keeping it on so if you have a black moor fish then you’re good to leave it on all night !

One More And I’m Out. Is Failure An Option?

• Yes

Votes: 36 15.2%
  • No

Votes: 175 73.8%
  • Unsure

Votes: 26 11.0%
Back