Who makes and feeds phytoplankton

Armydogracing

Zoa Collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have been reading about phytoplankton dosing. Who does this? Do you make your own? What are your experiences with it?

I'm considering getting a culture started and want to know everyone else's experiences and if they saw any benefits to their tanks

Thanks in advance

bios

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi army I do it and also rotifers
I think is basic for every reef tank
This is my system left is for rotifers right is phyto nanocloropsis exactly

IMG_0046.JPG

IMG_0047.JPG

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use phytoplankton from Colombo , 5 ml everyday in my 100 liter tank , everything seems happy , seen what I believe too be improvements, color , growth .. but I can't say for sure it's from the phytoplankton.

Maacc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed phyto, rotifers and copepods. However I am far too lazy to culture, fortunately one of my local lfs sells them from a local guy that does. I believe it helps, but I have added them to both tanks I have as soon as they started, so I don't have anything to prove it.

bios

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I make by my self army a cylinder in acrylic cut in two and glued with acrylic glue to a square piece of acrylic very cheap to do by yourself

Last edited:

Reef Nutrition

We Feed Your Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have been reading about phytoplankton dosing. Who does this? Do you make your own? What are your experiences with it?

I'm considering getting a culture started and want to know everyone else's experiences and if they saw any benefits to their tanks

Thanks in advance

If you find it to be too much work with little reward, please consider getting a bottle of Phyto-Feast. Many of our customers use our algal concentrates because they don't want to culture algae, can't culture enough or can't culture the appropriate species. We have a 1 million gallon culture facility, selling our phytoplankton concentrates to universities, farms and hobbyists all over the world. Check us out at www.reefnutrition.com

Chad

OP
OP
Armydogracing

Armydogracing

Zoa Collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you find it to be too much work with little reward, please consider getting a bottle of Phyto-Feast. Many of our customers use our algal concentrates because they don't want to culture algae, can't culture enough or can't culture the appropriate species. We have a 1 million gallon culture facility, selling our phytoplankton concentrates to universities, farms and hobbyists all over the world. Check us out at www.reefnutrition.com

Chad

Thank you I will check it out.

May get some for me and for the club giveaways. I have been needing to order more of the pods

Reef Nutrition

We Feed Your Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you I will check it out.

May get some for me and for the club giveaways. I have been needing to order more of the pods

We donate product routinely to clubs. Private message me and I'll see about getting things set up, unless you are already working with us on a donation.

Chad

A_game43

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed Phyto, ROE and Tigger pods each week. When I thaw out frozen food I add a splash of Phyto/ROE & Selcon let it soak then add small amounts to tank.

Reef Nutrition

We Feed Your Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed Phyto, ROE and Tigger pods each week. When I thaw out frozen food I add a splash of Phyto/ROE & Selcon let it soak then add small amounts to tank.

Thanks for using our products. I just saw images of your tank; it's beautiful. If you don't mind me asking, where do you buy our products?

Chad

Reef Nutrition

We Feed Your Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The NanoPhyto I get from a LFS in Dayton, Ohio and the ROE / Tigger pods - your products from Aquarium Artisans on Plainfield Rd in Cincinnati, Ohio

Thanks for letting me know. We value our stores tremendously and support them as much as we can.

Chad

RenoMark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Chad - Reef Nutrition,
Can you explain the difference between your Phyto Feast and Phyto Feast Live. Does that fact that you have a 'Live' version mean the normal version is NOT live? So adding the none live to a lighted container, does not really get me anything?
Thanks,
Mark

Reef Nutrition

We Feed Your Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Chad - Reef Nutrition,
Can you explain the difference between your Phyto Feast and Phyto Feast Live. Does that fact that you have a 'Live' version mean the normal version is NOT live? So adding the none live to a lighted container, does not really get me anything?
Thanks,
Mark

Hey Mark,

The algae in Phyto-Feast are non-viable, meaning the cells are no longer actively transporting and going through cellular fission. The cells in Phyto-Feast Live are indeed viable. If you were to culture the algae from Phyto-Feast Live, you would end up with a culture of Nannochloropsis slightly contaminated with Synechococcus, while the other 4 species (Pavlova, Isochrysis, Tetraselmis and Thalassiosira) would be out-competed.

If you are looking for single species cultures of live algae, you won't find that with us. We have too many customers that rely on our non-viable concentrates because they either don't want to grow algae, can't grow the appropriate species, have seasonality issues or can't simply grow enough and use our algae as a supplement.

I appreciate your question. If you want to chat more, please keep em' coming! ;)

Chad

Justin Nguyen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi army I do it and also rotifers
I think is basic for every reef tank
This is my system left is for rotifers right is phyto nanocloropsis exactly

IMG_0046.JPG

IMG_0047.JPG
Hi bios. Can you show me how to grow a phytoplankton. I tried 2 times to grow it but about 5 days start died. Thanks.

bios

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok Justin its a pleasure
First you have to find the starter ,important is that is a good starter whitout competitor or pollutant inside ,it have to arrive to you in good condition i.e. Est during shipment not high temp.
Then you place in a acrilic or plastic bottle with an aerator adjusted on about 5-7 bubbles for second and place front a light the bottle, light 6000k is best the one for the house 20-25 w is ok
You leave it there for about 4-5 days to acclimate the phyto
Then you start to duplicate it with water ,same water used for the water change of the tank but prepared in very clean condition you have not to contaminate the colture with bacterias or competitor also the ones coming from your tank
At last you add 2.5 ml /1lt of phertylizer to the water you have prepared
And start to duplicate the phyto i.e. If you have 250 ml of starter you add 250 ml of new water after a week again you add 500 ml of new water after other week
But you in any case do not add more new water of the one you have in the colture
Very important phertylizer must be very good ask to the one who give you the starter where he take it and take the same

Justin Nguyen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok Justin its a pleasure
First you have to find the starter ,important is that is a good starter whitout competitor or pollutant inside ,it have to arrive to you in good condition i.e. Est during shipment not high temp.
Then you place in a acrilic or plastic bottle with an aerator adjusted on about 5-7 bubbles for second and place front a light the bottle, light 6000k is best the one for the house 20-25 w is ok
You leave it there for about 4-5 days to acclimate the phyto
Then you start to duplicate it with water ,same water used for the water change of the tank but prepared in very clean condition you have not to contaminate the colture with bacterias or competitor also the ones coming from your tank
At last you add 2.5 ml /1lt of phertylizer to the water you have prepared
And start to duplicate the phyto i.e. If you have 250 ml of starter you add 250 ml of new water after a week again you add 500 ml of new water after other week
But you in any case do not add more new water of the one you have in the colture
Very important phertylizer must be very good ask to the one who give you the starter where he take it and take the same
Thanks so much Bios. Where i can find a good fertilizer to buy. I saw someone use part a and part b put in there. What is that?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back