Who says I can't get a bunch of tang in my 42 gallon reef tank?

kodak

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like I sad earlier, he does/ did the YouTube videos for a rather large lfs in socal called the reef lounge. So he had/ has access to very large tanks to move them. I'm not saying he should or shouldn't have put them in their just he did have plenty of options to move or rehome.
My bad, i missed that message, there were a bunch. That makes it better

Malum Argenteum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was a great take on the differences. In my opinion you have to do the diligence on YouTube to find the reputable/knowledgeable channels because they are there. I watched the video starting this thread and I don't feel like that guy misrepresented anything at all. He never said what his intention was for the long term of that tank and he sounded like a down to earth kind of guy. I promise I'm not trying to be argumentative but I don't think it's good to generalize YouTube as people who are just trying to get something out of it. I know you were trying to make a point. I know I've sure learned an Oxford library full of info both on here and on YouTube.
No worries on being argumentative. You're right, I was generalizing ("by and large" was the signpost), and doing so to draw out the differences between the two -- which is at least as much structural differences in the platform as differences in posters' intentions (or at least, the structural differences encourage different posting behavior -- I'd post a lot more contentious stuff if I thought I wouldn't get called out on it). There's some junky content and bad faith posters on forums, too.

And you're right that the reader/viewer is the one who needs to put in the work to sort the wheat from the chaff, though when the boobtube is on and OMG that's such a pretty reef I can do that a person is not necessarily all that discerning. But a person can be discerning, and should be, and you're right to point that out. :)

EugeneVan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even in my 210 gal, I think my tang will prefer more spaces for swimming. They are good swimmers and they swim all day long from one side to the other size of the tank
20240428_150423.jpg

Attachments

• 20230721_172653 (1).jpg
    20230721_172653 (1).jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 10

PharmrJohn

The Dude
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i did not know that Tangs get up to 24". I have never seen one large like that even in the display tanks (not for sale fish) at some LFS.

And this is the case with many in the hobby. Myself included. In my last attempt, I just made sure I was at or below the 1 inch to 3 gallons of water. I was incredibly one dimensional in my thinking. I wasn't planning on the present, let alone for the future. This next round, I have fish picked out that will 1.) Serve a specific purpose and 2.) I am planning on all of them making it to full size. So my starting stocking level will be on the light side. As they grow, the tank will adjust with them.

Kfactor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i got a scopus tang in my 60 breeder with a fox face but its 4' long and now that there bigger they seem good but wouldn't do it again

OP
OP
B

Ballyhoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well, after considering this and reading all these posts and more than that another visit to an LFS I realize that there are so many beautiful fish available that are not Tangs that I think I will have plenty of amazing dynamic biodiversity and will live well in 42 without having to get tangs. it's just to be honest it's a little bit inviting to think about one because LFS has so many small ones that I know would live in my tank. But I think there are plenty of other options so yes, I was very excited to see that YouTube video more than that just shows me what can be done in 42 gallon tank, but not necessarily what I'm gonna be doing. too many other options out there to put fish like a tang in a 42. well that's my thinking today anyway.

EugeneVan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good thinking Ballyhoo. Start it right is very important for this hobby. I have to say this hobby is very awarding but at the same time it can be very experience. Do search and more search before you act. Then you will have lots of fun and enjoyment with your tank.

EugeneVan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You do you! If thats what you want to try try it. Most of us will tell you its not going to work out for very long. But people like to hear what they want to hear so.....

I just watched a youtube video on how to start a reef tank. The "utuber" stated that waiting out the cycle was a waste of time she put 2 damsels, some dry rock, dry sand, an elegance coral, and some gsp in the tank day 1. She wondered why a damsel and the elegance died with in the first 3 weeks. But now all parameters are good so in went more fish and a new elegance. And thats the way you do it!!
Just wait for the ugly stage to haunt her. This hobby can't be driven by luck. Good luck with her. If people don't do it right starting from the beginning, they will be trying to put out fire everyday and finally wear them out with a large bill to pay.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something you might not think about, is where these fish come from. This is not like cats and dogs where they are having kittens and puppies and breeding and they NEED homes

The majority of all of our fish are wild caught. I got a tomini. Well…a few weeks before that he was in the ocean living his life. Divers hunted him down, as there was a shortage for suppliers. And searched around week after week until they were able to capture one. And then they netted him out of his habitat, the vast ocean, damaging his face in the process, put him in a bag and brought him to a wholesaler. Who then put him in a tank with other fish he may or may or may not have ever seen. Medicated for parasites. Put in a plastic bag and on a plane and shipped to an airport. Where my LFS drove to and put in a car and drove back and out in their tank and then i put in my tank.

Sadly this is the process used for the majority of fish in the hobby. A few weeks before you bought it, they were wild and free in the ocean. Exceptions for the few species able to be captive bred, and the people that bought captive bred. But the majority of fish are not.

And taking a strong powerful fish, that is used to being able to swim full speed for infinite lengths of space, and moving into a clear box 24”, is stressful and confusing and unnatural. We do our best to put in tanks we deem the minimum size to allow some bursts and space to turn around and to hide. And tanks as small as the one in the video simply aren’t enough physical space and it’s cruel to a fish on too of an already cruel process to get them.

When you get a fish from the display they have already healed and been deemed ok for sale. But if you have your LFS order you a fish and you pick up before they “put him on display” then you see the behind the scenes of what they come in looking like before they go in the displays

After all they’ve been through, why wouldn’t you want to pamper them and help them feel safe and comfortable to the best of your abilities, and give them a home with room to swim and use up energy

FD98B863-D916-4230-AE84-7524CCC09140.jpeg 78E253C9-86FF-4F37-A9F1-B91C4485C934.jpeg FC35CD64-55CB-4D87-8D17-C5C0B0200792.jpeg 7DF1493E-17DF-4973-9CE3-9FAB50A1FD1D.jpeg

Last edited:

YReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so basically, he was just showcasing a tank but likely gonna re home those tangs. As a newbie I was thinking the impossible like that I would stuff my 42 gal w Tangs like him. just dreaming. but it doesn't actually matter there's so many beautiful things that could be done in the 42 gallon tank without tangs. It's just that when you have that size tank Of course you're always thinking about, well, Tangs.
You can put whatever you like

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish in the video look a combination of bored, scared, and confused. Nothing looks natural about their behavior, some are erratic and scared

OP
OP
B

Ballyhoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if I agree with you, that the tang are stressed, I am no fish psychologist. It just looks to me like they're looking to swim somewhere and they keep running into the end of the aquarium so they have to turn around. I.e. it looks like they just don't have enough space to swim in, but I don't see stress. But just since I've begun this thread, I've completely changed my feelings about my own desire like I said earlier I have no desire anymore to have any tangs in my 41. because, having visited LFS last few days and just getting to experience and see the amazing different options that are available in smaller fish I don't see a need for a Tang. Today at LFS the owner told me I could buy a mimic tang for my tank. it was Juvie and quite small , he told me I could have it for five years , but I declined. There's just too many other options for me to think about having to bring home a fish that I might become attached to and having to rehome. I starting to really agree about respecting the bio diversity and the appropriateness of the size of fish for tanks. It's a very odd thing, before I got into reefing, fish were just sushi or feelingless creatures. But now these little fish in my tank, I've become attached to them and , I even have empathy for them, which is the weirdest thing in the world .Crazy huh?

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if I agree with you, that the tang are stressed…
A dog tied to a tree 24/7 on a 3 foot rope with a 4 square foot house hundreds of yards from the back porch may not look stressed either. Does that make it right?

OP
OP
B

Ballyhoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A dog tied to a tree 24/7 on a 3 foot rope with a 4 square foot house hundreds of yards from the back porch may not look stressed either. Does that make it right?
No but your mixing apples and oranges. Im not saying it's right; i'm just saying i can't tell whether they are stressed or just they are being active in a confined area. they actually don't look stressed to my eyes. But im no fish expert. Others here w more experience might know the signs of stressed Tangs. I do agree it does not look like a large enough space for those fish that's and that why I've changed my mind and I will not be getting tangs. Thankfully nature has provided enough other options for of owners 41 gallon reef tanks. Well, I didn't get that mimic tang LFS told me I could buy. I ended up getting a juvenile royal gramma which was exquisitely beautiful until i released him in my tank, not to be seen since. I do hope he appears tomorrow.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hot take but most tangs shouldn't be in 99% of reef tanks. These fish just get too big.

OP
OP
B

Ballyhoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a bizarre question, but why are thy entitled to better treatment than the millions of fish processed for human consumption every month? It's the value we place on the fish that caused this sense that they deserve better treatment or care that which is implied by us because now fish are not food but pets. I have bonded with all mine. and now i won't get a tang in my 41 bc it doesn't seem appropriate. what happened to me? i thought fish were sushi. I don't think I'm gonna ever have a tuna roll and think about it the same way again.

907_Reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tuna roll lived a fantastic life in the ocean until it's time to become part of the food chain.

..doesn't really mean we should put all tuna in our bath tubs to watch them squirm does it?

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 26 23.0%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 81 71.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back