Who wears gloves?

Pitcom

Not Reef Safe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was just wondering what everyone's preference was. Do you wear long gloves while working in your tank, or do you brave it and go bare skin?
I have only worn gloves to frag corals, but lately i keept getting an allergic reaction to my tank and plan to wear those 24" gloves from now on to move stuff around.

surfn

I bleed orange and maroon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a pair of the very thick long gloves that come up past your elbows. i only use them if i'm handling rock for a very long time, or i think there is a mantis in the rocks. as the gloves are so thick its hard to move your fingers around if you are handling/fragging corals which requires a bit of finesse.

other than that, i dont use any gloves....as my hands are pretty big. most of the nitrile gloves out there break easily IME if they get snagged on a sharpe edge (i.e. rock or coral).

i do however use safety glasses whenever i'm fragging stuff.......this is more important IMO.

GeoB

The Water Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wear the up-to shoulder florescent orange/blue ones. I never had any reaction other than sticky feeling, but I'm more concerned with intruducing something on my hands/skin into the tank or on coral tissue. Definately latex and face shield when handleing zoas and palys.

Deepwater

Im so Psycho HAHAHA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I rarely put my hand in the tank , i have a few sze aqua tongs that work wonders. i do wear gloves when i frag corals. just better not to touch them with bare skin

J. Montgomery

Mouth Pipetting
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wear gloves at work, but not in the tank ;) And I put my hands in my tank probably a few times a day, especially since I've been reaquascaping recently. I have gotten some nasty stings on a few different ocassions (I think it was a milli, but I haven't been trying to prove my suspicions).

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No gloves..

surfn

I bleed orange and maroon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wear gloves at work, but not in the tank ;) And I put my hands in my tank probably a few times a day, especially since I've been reaquascaping recently. I have gotten some nasty stings on a few different ocassions (I think it was a milli, but I haven't been trying to prove my suspicions).

i'm not really afraid of being *stung* by any corals in my tank. of course, if i had an open wound on my finger/hand i wouldn't go touching corals just out of common sense.

there is a couple of big green button polyps in my mantis tank that i will not touch. the few times i've handled them to move them around my fingertips have gone numb each time....kinda scarry.

but other than those i've never really been stung by anything.

if i keep my hands/arms wet for several hours, say if i'm re-aquascaping the tank. or when i moved.....i will get a few hives on my hand and down my arm though.

reefboy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ware them after 20+ years of handling corals my finger tips have finaly had it.They are dry and crack and become sore they are healing know that I ware gloves now understand it just the fingers I grab corals with my thumb, index and middle fingers and its just the finger print side thats affected no other part of my hands, after getting stung and submitting them to toxins ive finaly get a reaction should of been waring gloves years ago.So do it now because ive seen it drive people out of the hobby.

R

reef-nut

View Badges
I have been putting my hands in reef tanks for over 20 years and I have never used gloves. I have been stung by urchins and a dwarf lion fish. Still I do not use gloves. Thank you!!

Sea MunnKey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been putting my hands in reef tanks for over 20 years and I have never used gloves. I have been stung by urchins and a dwarf lion fish. Still I do not use gloves. Thank you!!

:hammer: ... all the reason why you're called Reef-Nut!!
I wear them only when I'm moving stuffs around the tank other than that bare hands(when I should be wearing Latex gloves ... seriously).

Paul

Patwa

Zig-Zag pro since '96
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I definitely wear them, especially when handling large pieces of LR...corals, dead or alive, are VERY sharp, not to mention the critters and hitchhikers that are usually found in them (ie. fireworms, bristleworms)

IMO, gloves are a preventative measure....you wear them in the off chance you unknowingly handle something 'dangerous'...well, that's why I wear them, at least.

I use nitrile dipped spandex gloves....they are not the flimsy latex style or even the flimsy blue nitrile gloves you see paramedics and mechanics using......these are made from a thin spandex shell, where each finger tip (and palm) has been dipped in nitrile. I get them at my local hardware/gardening store, and they retail fro $1 for a pair.

i'm not really afraid of being *stung* by any corals in my tank.

I should introduce you to my red frogspawm..lol....his sting, for some reason, is the most powerful i've ever experienced...even stronger than a carpet anemone. My entire upper right forearm is literally blackened, caliced and chaffed all due to the stings i've recevied from this guy.......the problem is that it's hard to avoid him b/c of where I placed him in the tank....lol

Zach

R

reef-nut

View Badges
I would rather die from being stung by something I love than a heart attack or cancer!!

rackyrane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't. I probably should because I hate the bristleworm spikes in my fingers.

120gallons

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do when I am doing anything with my zoas like moving them. Better safe than sorry.

Reef Goddess

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never. Although there have been times after fragging lots of zoos, etc when i wish i had because my fingertips get kinda numb. ;p

I got hit by my radiata for the first time the other day and that was pretty painful. He likes to follow me around when I'm working in the tank cause he thinks he'll get fed.
When we had the 180 I would always get a nice rash while cleaning the glass from bumping into my huge green nephthea (rip).

NapoliNewJersey

Achilles Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't wear gloves but I keep my hands out of the tank as much as possible. I use tongs ang grabbers to move things when I can and while fragging I was my hands right after... paly toxin is a little scary.

When I had my Sargassum he would brush up against my hand/arm and it was funny cause I could push him out of the way and he would keep coming by me like a dumb butt. He jumped ... maybe he didn't feel loved.
:hammer:

ServantSoldier

pro am
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i don't use gloves at all.. I do a lot of fragging and things in tanks. no symptoms as of yet.

reefnut.. how was that dwarf lion sting? I've had a few close calls but haven't gotten it yet. painful? make you sick?

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 40 47.1%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 20 23.5%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 19 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 7.1%
Back