Who would recommend Jebao crossflow pumps

AtlanticGail

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone happy with their Jebao crossflow pumps. I have a 90 gallon (48*24*18). Looking at getting 2 one for each end, something that can be sync to each other. Are they easy to take apart and clean, how often do you clean them. What's your favorite mode, etc etc etc.
Another thing what's the difference in all the models: MCP, DCW, ECP, SCP.......

TehBrainz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had mine for 6 years with no issue. Barely cleaned and work perfectly. I use random pattern to create more turbulent flow. I recommend them to everyone.
Same on all accounts except I've only had mine for 2 months.

I'm getting a 2nd one now for the other side of the tank and will also keep it on random. Currently have two Jebao ow-25s that I'll move to the back of the tank. Those are 6 years running no issues

Upvote 0

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had two of the SCP-150 on my tank for around 4 years and they have ran fine. The only issue I had with them was at one point I had a ton of tiny snails and they would get into the pump and I would have to take it apart to remove the snail. This was not the fault of the pump though.
I am just now changing mine out for MP40’s but not because I had any issues with them.

Upvote 0

DIYreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I have a few of them in various tanks. Never have had any issues with any of them.

Upvote 0

kindafun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got them, SCP-120's, in a frag tank. They have been pretty easy to care for and reliable. The flow isn't tremendous, not as much as some similar sized Icecap 4K's.

Upvote 0

TehBrainz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my understanding via searching on Amazon (could be totally wrong based on incorrect descriptions). Also in order of price High to Low

MCP - Wifi controllable with LCD controller and smart detection upon dry detection - $$$
ECP - Wifi controllable with LCD controller - $$
SCP "M" - Wifi controllable with analog controller - $$
SCP - Non-Wifi controllable with analog controller- $
DCW - Can't find anything on this one.

Current Amazon prices and flow rates per Amazon (take it with a grain of salt) for -150 variant:

MCP-150 (6000-7500GPH) = $125.98
ECP-150M (5283GPH) = $123.99
SCP-150M (6000-7500GPH) = $122.98
SCP -150 (6000-7500GPH) = $110.99

Seems like minor differences in wifi connectivity and the type of controller. I personally prefer to keep these particular devices of foreign origin off of my wifi, could be excessive paranoia, but I also have a large number of devices on my network as-is. I do think having the dry detection feature is nice, if it works as advertised. Certainly wouldn't rely on it everyday, but good failsafe for an extra $15. SCP has pretty straight forward controls so I don't know what the LCD controller provides in terms of user experience. My 2cents

Upvote 0

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  • The cross flow is a gyre.

Guess I mixed them up. Thanks for the correction. In that case here is my experience with a few different brands not related to Jebao but to the Gyres in general.

Here is my experience with the Maxspect XF280 (native controller), Ice cap 4k & XF280 with the Hydros Wave Engine LE, pair of Orbit 4's with the Neptune MXM module, and finally the Maxspect XF350 cloud edition.

• All work as one would expect when using Gyres - laminar flow
  • All allow the flexibility of flow direction when properly using cage and blade combinations (AA, BB, AB, etc)
  • Flow patterns are brand or controller centric. Some have nutrient transport, some do not, some have complex flow patterns (Maxspect OGC for example), some do not.
  • Maxspect had the fastest motor block reaction time of .5 seconds. Orbit, Icecap, do not - limited to 2 seconds. This makes a pretty big difference in pulse mode or I should say visible anyway.
  • All support reverse motor block functionality. Often overlooked by hobbyist is pre-set patterns (like Maxspect OGC) that use reverse. Default cage and blade facing directs water forward. To make optimum use of these flows, or positions, proper cage and blade is required. Otherwise they just slap the water and are not as effective.
  • Some offer better positional flow (Maxspect). Some offer cage only while Maxspect offers split cage and add on flow directors.
  • Gyre stands out by allowing to position horizontal or vertical. Now place on a display corner, vertical, with proper cage facing and blades you can push that same flow alone both sides of the display​
  • Cleaning frequency will depend on the hobbyist display. I clean mine about every month and a half. So maybe 40 - 45 days. There will be a noticeable build up of algae and/or film which will have an impact on flow. Hobbyist will have to decide what works best for them but they do need cleaning.​
  • My cleaning method is to power one off, remove it, soak in a warm RODI / citric acid bath, scrub, rinse, and replace. Some I have spare parts (XF280) which allow a quicker turn around time. Ice cap 4k and Maxspect XF280 which means I power off, remove, swap blades, cages, replace, and turn on all within a couple minutes. Toss parts in citric acid, soak, clean, rinse, dry, and put away.​
All in all they more or less work the same. Different built in or preset patterns. Some give spare parts which is a nice quality of life improvement for cleaning and flow patterns. Some integrate with controllers. Finicky to get properly flow and/or schedule. Must be cleaned - it will be noticed. After cleaning power or intensity may need to be adjusted. Coral growth or aquascape changes means you have to revisit flow - this will be the same with other power heads so not unique.

If I was asked out of all that I have used which had a better build quality I would say Maxspect. Out of all that I used did any give me issues? I would say I had one exposed wire on the Maxspect XF280 and I took it out of service. Neat factor? Hydros wave engine LE allowing me to use older gyre XF280 and Icecap together. Currently using Orbit 4's with MXM module.

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my understanding via searching on Amazon (could be totally wrong based on incorrect descriptions). Also in order of price High to Low

MCP - Wifi controllable with LCD controller and smart detection upon dry detection - $$$
ECP - Wifi controllable with LCD controller - $$
SCP "M" - Wifi controllable with analog controller - $$
SCP - Non-Wifi controllable with analog controller- $
DCW - Can't find anything on this one.

Current Amazon prices and flow rates per Amazon (take it with a grain of salt) for -150 variant:

MCP-150 (6000-7500GPH) = $125.98
ECP-150M (5283GPH) = $123.99
SCP-150M (6000-7500GPH) = $122.98
SCP -150 (6000-7500GPH) = $110.99

Seems like minor differences in wifi connectivity and the type of controller. I personally prefer to keep these particular devices of foreign origin off of my wifi, could be excessive paranoia, but I also have a large number of devices on my network as-is. I do think having the dry detection feature is nice, if it works as advertised. Certainly wouldn't rely on it everyday, but good failsafe for an extra $15. SCP has pretty straight forward controls so I don't know what the LCD controller provides in terms of user experience. My 2cents

You're pretty close on everything. The main Jebao/Jecod pumps and gyres follow the same naming convention. From oldest to newest in terms of release date and technology...

SCP/SLW/SOW
SCP-m/SLW-m/SOW-m
MCP/MLW/MOW
ACP/ALW/AOW
ECP/ELW/EOW
DCP/DLW/DOW

The newest (DCP/DLW/DOW) uses Bluetooth for the controller instead of wifi, so that might be a better option for some people.

Everything since the MCP runs on the same app. It allows you to set different flow modes, flow speeds, custom time periods, etc. If you've ever used MyAI for Nero pumps, or Mobius for Ecotech pumps, it's very similar, albeit with a few less options.

Upvote 0

Lebowski_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are great pumps for their price. My biggest complaint and why I went back to Neros was that I found them a pain in the butt to take apart and clean. I have a zillion Trochus babies, plus algae and very fine sand, so the environment was harsh.

Upvote 0

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 29 80.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 8.3%
Back