OP
OP
Jagg

Jagg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Closed loop is where it is at for the big tanks. People suggesting powerheads think there 120g is a big tank. 1800 gallons, that is a serious endeavor my friend.

There is one brand to look at for the really big tanks and that is penta ray.
Thanks will take a look

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As it has been said there is no need to have 30x turnover with the return pump. I have 1200 gallons of display and another 500 gallons of auxiliary tanks on my system. My main return turns over the entire system about 3x/hour. I use larger power heads to maintain higher water flow in the display tanks but as my system is split into two displays I use large hobby grade power heads. There are some larger options for power heads from Tunzi and panta rhei that are commercial grade the other option is closed loop.

OP
OP
Jagg

Jagg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As it has been said there is no need to have 30x turnover with the return pump. I have 1200 gallons of display and another 500 gallons of auxiliary tanks on my system. My main return turns over the entire system about 3x/hour. I use larger power heads to maintain higher water flow in the display tanks but as my system is split into two displays I use large hobby grade power heads. There are some larger options for power heads from Tunzi and panta rhei that are commercial grade the other option is closed loop.
Yes familiar with Tunze back in the day I ran their filtration system and skimmers on Turbello pumps. Was a decent bit of kit, infact I’ve still got it. It will do my quarantine or frag.

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes familiar with Tunze back in the day I ran their filtration system and skimmers on Turbello pumps. Was a decent bit of kit, infact I’ve still got it. It will do my quarantine or frag.

I would look at the masterstream series pumps

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 10 9.1%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 47 42.7%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 52 47.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back