Why are my AOIs so tiny??

Luckyduck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had these guys for probably 2 years. Very slow growers but more interestingly, why are they so tiny? Especially in comparison to the other flavors I have but they have always been this way. Nitrates are 8.7 Phosphates are 0.06. Currently running a little high because I'm fighting off Dinos. Alk 9.5, Calcium 450 & Magnesium 1357. They're getting medium flow as are the others. I'm assuming it's not a lighting issue as all of its neighbors are growing and multiplying. Am I missing something that I don't know about AOI Zoas?

PXL_20231112_161541930~2.jpg

pochaxoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experience with the AOI is that they take a very long time to acclimate to the aquarium you have and go through near death experiences and being ticked off as yours are now. Mine did not multiple for a year and then boom they acclimated to the light or flow and grew like any other weedy zoa. I think it may have a lot to do with the light level vs what you may have them in now and where they came from but not definitive. Good luck and hope they grow eventually.

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On your picture they are not fully open and barely acclimated, but also they are a smaller species, not all zoas grow to have the same size.

There's even much smaller varieties than that

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 31 35.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 15 17.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back